Subject: [IGSMAIL-4216]: Workshop on the GPS Vertical, April 2-4, 2003
From: Geoff Blewitt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Geoff Blewitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:38:19 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      20 Dec 15:38:12 PST 2002      Message Number 4216
******************************************************************************

Authors: G. Blewitt, K. Larson, T. van Dam, and O. Francis

Dear IGS Community,

This is to announce a workshop in Luxembourg the week before the
AGU-EGS meeting. For more information including registration and on-line
abstract submission please see http://www.ecgs.lu

"Workshop on the State of GPS Vertical Positioning Precision:
Separation of Earth Processes by Space Geodesy"

Sponsored by the European Center for Geodynamics and Seismology (ECGS)
and the Fonds National de la Recherche (Luxembourg) (FNR)

Scientific Committee:

G. Blewitt
K. Larson
T. van Dam
O. Francis
Others welcome

Venue: Luxembourg City, Luxembourg at the hotel Parc-Bell-Vue
       http://www.hpb.lu/bv/index.html
Date: 2-4 April, 2003 (week before EGS)
Registration Fee: 50 euros.
Registration is limited to 50 participants!

ABSTRACT:
Observed signals in GPS data are the sum of noise and real crustal
motions.  Interpretation of the data depends on our ability to extract a
signal of interest from the total signal.  This workshop will highlight
the difficulties associated with extracting a signal such as post-glacial
rebound, plate tectonics or loading, from vertical geodetic data.

FORMAT:
Session Chairs will be asked to invite appropriate papers, to coordinate
contributed papers in their session, and to coordinate written
proceedings, including a paper which summarizes useful outcomes from the
discussions. In the spirit of a true workshop, presentations may be as
short as a single figure or a brief introductory statement, followed by
discussion. The Session Chairs may wish to start each session with one
review type of paper to provide a context for the session; however,
AGU-EGS types of "complete" presentations with little opportunity for open
discussion are discouraged. The Session Chairs should provide a (partial)
list of discussion topics in advance of the meeting to give all workshop
participants an opportunity to prepare and contribute some material for
discussion.

Morning Sessions: Oral
Invited Speakers, Pertinent Contributed Speakers
Afternoon Sessions: Oral/Posters

Publication Proceedings: 'Cahiers du Centre Europen de Godynamique et de
Sismologie' (Luxembourg Funding Requirement)

General layout of the meeting, including suggested areas of discussion:

DAY 1 Theme:  Empirical Characteristics of GPS Vertical Data
      - Empirical measures over different spatial and temporal scales
      - Empirical measures in the wavelength and frequency domains
      - Effect of frame and coordinate realization methods on time series.
      - Effect of processing models and strategies on time series.
      - What "appears" to be signal, and what "appears" to be noise?
      - What characteristics appear to be limit the signal to noise ratio?
      - What is unexplained, surprising, or interesting?

DAY 2 Theme: Performance and Limitations of Models
      - What are the limitations of GPS processing models and software?
      - How well do displacement models explain observed characteristics?
      - Which processing strategies minimize observed-modeled vertical?
      - What are the limitations of current vertical displacement models?
      - Vertical displacement models: observation or coordinate level?
      - What are the limitations of reference frames and realization?

DAY 3 Theme:  Resolutions - What should we do?
      - What do we recommend for processing models, strategies, frames?
      - What do we recommend for vertical displacement models?
      - What future research might improve vertical data quality?
      - How can errors be better characterized/quantified/understood?
      - How might we improve models of vertical displacements?

For more information including registration and on-line abstract
submission please see http://www.ecgs.lu

----------------
Dr Geoff Blewitt
Research Professor
University of Nevada, Reno
http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/staff/geoff.htm
1-775-784-6691 ext 171