Subject: [IGSMAIL-4193]: Habemus Papam!
From: Gerhard Beutler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:19:21 +0000

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      12 Dec 07:19:31 PST 2002      Message Number 4193
******************************************************************************

Author: Gerhard Beutler

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

at its 21st meeting -- on December 10, 2002 in the Argent Hotel,
San Francisco -- the IGS Governing Board elected its third
Chairman (after Gerhard Beutler 1994-1998, Christoph Reigber
1999-2003).

The Candidates:
Norman Beck, Chief Active Control Systems of the
Geodetic Survey Division, Natural Resources Canada and

John M. Dow, Head of the Navigation Support Office of ESOC, the
European Space Agency's Operation Center,

were ready to assume the responsibility and duties of the IGS Chair
2003-2006.

The discussions accompanying the election process, in particular
the visions projected by the two candidates, clearly indicated
that this time period will -- once again -- be fascinating and
exciting for the IGS community and the Earth sciences community
served by the IGS: Real-time and spaceborne applications of the
GPS will be at the center of interests as well as the exploitation
of the European GALILEO satellite system, which will be deployed
in the near future.

It was extremely difficult to come to a decision, because both
candidates were equally well qualified to lead and represent the
IGS in the next four years. The board was, however, in the
comfortable position to know that the outcome of the election
would not influence the excellent working climate in the board.
Both candidates indicated to continue working on the board if not
elected.

At this point in time the acting IGS Chairman, Prof. Chris Reigber
from GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam, Germany, thanked both
candidates for their past and future contribution to the IGS and
called for the election. The IGS Governing Board elected

                Prof. John M. Dow
                =================

as its Chairman for the time period 2003-2006.

In the name of the IGS Nomination Committee, of the IGS Governing
Board, and of the entire IGS community I cordially congratulate
John Dow for assuming this interesting task and wish him all the
best for his Chairmanship 2003-2006.

Gerhard Beutler
IAG Representative in the IGS Governing Board