Subject: [IGSMAIL-3952]: Happy Birthday, IGS
From: Gerhard Beutler <[email-masked]>
To: igsmail <[email-masked]>
Cc: Tscherning Christian <[email-masked]>, Fernando Sanso <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 07:55:08 +0000

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      21 Jun 00:55:14 PDT 2002      Message Number 3952
******************************************************************************

Author: Gerhard Beutler

Dear friends and colleagues,

exactly ten years ago the so called "1992 IGS Test Campaign",
scheduled to last from June 21 to September 23 1992, started. We
all know that this was the beginning of an fabulous success story
of international scientific collaboration. Let me mention only a
few facts:

 - The IGS network grew from a relatively moderate size in 1992 to a
 network of far more than well documented, permanently operating sites.
 Network operations are very reliable. The redundancy is sound. Many
 governmental and research organizations guarantee an extraordinary
 stability and reliability of these operations.

 - Data transfer is internet based. The regional and global data
 centers are performing very well (with only few "hickups").

 - Many "IGS pioneers", protagonists already in 1992, are still active
in
 the IGS today. It is impossible and does not make sense to compile a
 complete list. Let me just mention Prof. Ivan Mueller, who is still
"remote  sensing" IGS activities today, Ruth Neilan (head of the IGS
Central Bureau) and Carey Noll  (Ms. Data Center & Data Transfer).

 - It is remarkable that the seven IGS Analysis Center which were
already
 on board in 1992 still are "in the club" today. USNO joined the IGS as
a
 new analysis center later on. Friendly competition was and is the key
for
 success in this area.

 - The IGS went far beyond collection of data and distribution of
 individual products. The orbits were in the first phase thoroughly
 compared, later on combined. The Analysis Coordinator is an important
job.
 The list of the names is short, yet impressive: Clyde Goad, Jan Kouba,
 Tim Springer, Robert Weber. It is certainly fair to point out that Jan
Kouba  was not only the coordinator, but also the soul of the IGS in his
active
days.

 - It is generally acknowledged today that IGS orbits are the best
available.

 - IGS products (Earth Rotation/Orientation Parameters, Series of
Station
 Positions, Atmosphere measurements and models) give vital input for
other
 services, e.g., the IERS, and other sciences.

 - Through its working groups the IGS stimulates research in many areas.

Its organization and its momentum are exemplary for many other
international
 scientific collaborations.

 On behalf of the IAG Executive Committee I wish the IGS

     **** HAPPY BIRTHDAY ****

 and many more years of stimulating operational and research activities!

 Gerhard Beutler
 Vice-President of IAG (International Association of Geodesy)