Subject: [IGSMAIL-3887]: TRIMBLE 4700
From: Stefan Schaer <[email-masked]>
To: igsmail <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 13:40:17 +0000

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      17 May 06:49:28 PDT 2002      Message Number 3887
******************************************************************************

Author: Stefan Schaer

Dear colleagues:

We have developed a reliable method to verify on the basis of RINEX
observation data whether a specific receiver type provides

  (a) C1/P2',
  (b) P1/P2, or
  (c) C1/P2 code measurements (see also IGS Mail 3737).

Note that C1 stands for C/A code, P2' corresponds to the linear
combination C1+(P2-P1).

Using this method, we tested data from a considerable number of IGS
sites (nearly all sites considered at CODE) and found among other
things that Trimble 4700 receivers do actually not belong to receiver
class (a) as generally adopted but to class (c).

The cc2noncc utility commonly used for correcting P1-C1 bias values
should be updated accordingly.

In this context, it is worth mentioning that newer generations of
class (c), or C1/P2 receivers show dual-frequency code measurements
with excellent quality, enabling a very successful widelane ambiguity
resolution, even when analyzing differences with P1/P2 measurements
(provided that P1-C1 bias values are taken into account).

Best regards,

Stefan Schaer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Stefan Schaer         Phone  : +41-31-631-8602 (8591)
Astronomical Institute    Fax    : +41-31-631-3869
University of Berne       E-mail : [email-masked]
Sidlerstrasse 5           FTP    : ftp://ftp.unibe.ch/aiub/
CH-3012 Berne                      http://www.aiub.unibe.ch/download/
Switzerland               Web    : http://www.aiub.unibe.ch/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
How does the Earth's ionosphere currently develop? Look at
                          http://www.aiub.unibe.ch/ionosphere.html