Subject: [IGSMAIL-3786]: Boeing To Update GPS 2F Satellites (fwd)
From: Jim Ray (USNO 202-762-1444) <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 8:18:29 EST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      15 Mar 05:19:56 PST 2002      Message Number 3786
******************************************************************************

Author: Richard Langley (forwarded by Jim Ray)

Forwarded message:

Date:         Fri, 15 Mar 2002 08:27:34 -0400
From: Richard Langley <[email-masked]>
Sender: Canadian Space Geodesy Forum <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Press Release: Boeing To Update GPS 2F Satellites
To: [email-masked]

   Seal Beach - Mar 13, 2002 Boeing Space and Communications has received
   approval from the U.S. Air Force to move forward with space vehicle
   production for the Global Positioning Satellite [sic] (GPS) IIF
   Modernization program.

   "The Boeing GPS IIF is the next step in enhancing the capabilities to
   support the national infrastructure for Homeland Security and National
   Defense, and it will improve the system's capabilities for all GPS
   users," said Mike Rizzo, director of navigation systems for Boeing
   Space and Communications, a business unit of Boeing.

   The added capabilities include a new signal for civilian users and
   critical, secure Operational M-codes for the warfighter. The new
   civilian signal, in the protected Aeronautical Radio Navigation System
   frequency band, provides redundant safety of life services for civil
   aviation users and increased accuracy for a host of other users
   worldwide.

   In addition, GPS IIF is compatible with the U.S. Air Force's Evolved
   Expendable Launch Vehicle (EELV) and will provide 20% more on-orbit
   life than previous GPS spacecraft. The Air Force chose the Boeing
   Delta IV to launch 21 of its 28 EELV payloads in October 1998.

   Designed for flexibility and growth, the GPS IIF system architecture
   can affordably accommodate hardware and software changes through
   incremental technology upgrades to improve efficiency and introduce
   new military capabilities including anti-jam, greater accuracy, better
   availability and higher integrity.

   This incremental upgrade approach to the GPS IIF program will, in
   turn, reduce the technical risks inherent in developing GPS III, the
   next generation satellite system, as well as answer the near term
   needs of the warfighter today.

   The Boeing-led Control Segment team that includes Lockheed Martin and
   Computer Science Corp. will also play a key role in this procurement
   with the modernization of the entire GPS ground system architecture
   design to reduce operator workload and operational costs.