Subject: [IGSMAIL-3740]: FCC approves Ultra-wideband Technology
From: Jim Ray (USNO 202-762-1444) <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 8:46:26 EST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      15 Feb 05:46:28 PST 2002      Message Number 3740
******************************************************************************

Author: Jim Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded message:

Date:         Thu, 14 Feb 2002 23:57:34 -0400
From: Richard Langley <[email-masked]>
Subject:      GPS News from Yahoo - Ultrawideband Technology Gets FCC Nod

Ultrawideband Technology Gets FCC Nod (Reuters) Federal regulators approved on
Thursday the use of a new, yet controversial, wireless technology that could
help rescue workers find people buried in rubble or locate stresses in the
side of a bridge, overcoming fears it would interfere with important
navigation aids.
For the full story, go to:
http://rd.yahoo.com/alerts/email/news/*http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020214/tc_nm/telecoms_ultrawideband_fcc_dc_2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The FCC press release is at:
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/News_Releases/2002/nret0203.html

It is claimed that any adverse impacts on GPS should be very minimal, partly
because the UWB usage is largely limited to frequencies above 3.1 GHz.