Subject: [IGSMAIL-373] Minutes, First Governing Bo
From: Ruth Neilan
Date: 19 NOV 1993 20:15:28

***********************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail       19-NOV-1993 20:15:28       Message Number 373
***********************************************************************

From: Ruth Neilan 
Subject: Minutes, First Governing Bo
------------------------------------

From: Ruth Neilan <[email-masked]>

                       Subject:                               Time:6:31 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Minutes, First Governing Board_        Date:11/18/93
=*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*=
  Minutes of the First IGS Governing Board Meeting, October 18,1993
                 Silver Spring, Maryland, USA.

      Submitted by the IGS Central Bureau (Zumberge and Neilan)
=*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*==*=*=*=

Executive Session, 4:00- 5:45 PM
_________________________________
The meeting began at 4 PM at the Holiday Inn, Silver Spring. The meeting 
was attended by the following members of the Governing Board:

G. Beutler
Y. Bock
J. Dow
M. Feissel
J. Kouba
I. Mueller
R. Neilan
C. Noll

I. Mueller chaired the meeting.

W. Melbourne was invited to be present by the chairman.

J. Zumberge acted as secretary.

The first order of business was the election of the Governing Board 
chairman. Based on the nominations received, the Board elected Beutler 
for a 4-year term. 

Following the election there was a discussion concerning the composition 
of the Governing Board.  At the IAG Executive Committee Meeting in 
August, 1993, in Beijing, the IAG expressed a desire that the IGS 
Governing Board have more representation from major contributors and a 
broader geographical base. To satisfy this recommendation, a proposed 
change to the IGS Terms of Reference to add six non-voting members was 
presented to the GB by I. Mueller.

The proposed modifications to the IGS Terms of Reference were given 
unanimous approval.  The new Terms of Reference dated October 18, 1993 
are available from IGS Central Bureau.

As Director of the IGS Central Bureau, Neilan nominated the following 
persons to serve two-year terms as non-voting members on the Governing 
Board:

C. Boucher        IGN,  France
T. Kato           ERI,  Japan
G. Mader          NOAA, US
C. Reigber        GFZ,  Germany

The IAG appointed B. Schutz as the fifth non-voting member for a period 
of four years or until the Boulder General Assembly in 1995 representing 
Section II of the IAG. 

Following discussion, the list was approved.

Neilan then nominated Melbourne to serve as the IGS representative to 
the IERS (the sixth additional non-voting member of the Governing 
Board), due to his position as the IERS GPS Technique Coordinator since 
1990.  The nomination was approved unanimously.

Beutler suggested that Kouba be appointed the IGS Analysis Center 
Coordinator. Kouba responded positively to the suggestion, and his 
appointment was approved unanimously. As coordinator, he will be 
responsible for, among other things, coordinating the combined IGS orbit 
product, as soon as his resources allow.

The final topic of discussion dealt with IGS Associate Members. Neilan 
has a preliminary list of 61 persons. An action item for the Central 
Bureau is to communicate with all components of the IGS and members of 
the former Oversight Committee, requesting from each a list of potential 
IGS Associate Members.

The following is the official listing of the Members of the IGS 
Governing Board as of October 18, 1993:

Name          Country        Position               Initial Term
G. Beutler  * Switzerland    Chair                   4 years
Y. Bock     * USA            Analysis Center Rep.    2 years
C. Boucher    France         Appointed (IGS)         2 years
J. Dow      * Germany        Network Rep.            2 years
B. Engen    * Norway         Network Rep.            4 years
M. Feissel  * France         IERS                      -----
T. Kato       Japan          Appointed (IGS)         2 years
J. Kouba    * Canada         Analysis Center Coord.  2 years
G. Mader      USA            Appointed (IGS).        2 years
B. Melbourne  USA            IGS Rep to IERS           -----
I. Mueller  * USA            IAG Rep.                  -----
R. Neilan   * USA            Director of Central Bureau ----
C. Noll     * USA            Data Center Rep.        4 years
Ch.Reigber    Germany        Appointed (IGS)         2 years
B. Schutz     USA            Appointed (IAG)         4 years

* Voting Members of the Governing Board

The meeting was adjourned at approximately 5:45 PM.

============================================================

General Session, 7:00-9:00 PM

The Executive Session was summarized by G. Beutler.

Neilan presented the plans for the Central Bureau and announced that 
NASA had provided funding for this activity and was very supportive of 
this role.  She then described the IGS Information System which will 
relocate the IGSMail from Bern to JPL, and plans to expand on the 
services for the IGS.  The implementation and operation of the system is 
under the cognizance of Jim Zumberge.  

Mueller then discussed the issues of the need to increase the public 
awareness of IGS activities and product availability, and agreed to 
assist the Central Bureau in the area of public information.

Kouba summarized the recommendations of the Analysis Center Workshop 
which are included in the IGSMail message 'Analysis Center Workshop 
Summary'.

Beutler addressed the issue of regional network and Associate Analysis 
Center coordination in terms of distributed processing and the inclusion 
of regional array products into the IGS framework.  A session will be 
held at the joint IERS/IGS Workshop in Paris, France March 21-25, 1994.  
Blewitt and Bock will lead the technical effort for the IGS, and Mueller 
was proposed to assist in the organization and coordination.

K. Burke from the Defense Mapping Agency was present at the meeting and 
said that the DMA would continue to support the IGS in a manner similar 
to the past.  The DMA is currently upgrading their tracking stations, 
and can occasionally contribute the 30 second observable to the IGS. J. 
Slater was designated as the DMA point of contact for the IGS.

Commercial/Non-scientific user fees was discussed in a follow-up to the 
policy established in Bern, March 1993.  It was suggested that an ad hoc 
committee be established to assess these users and provide input to the 
Governing Board for the formulation of a revised or redefined policy.  
The Chairman and the CB will look into this. 

Mueller then discussed ways to provide for more feedback to the 
observers of IGS and recognition for all of the  contributors to the 
IGS.  In addition to developing the Associate Member List, the Central 
Bureau will generate a more personal response to IGS members, 
particularly at the station and network level.

No further business was conducted.

IGS Associate Members and guests present:: 
Beutler
Bock
Boloh
Burke
Daniel
Dow
Dragert
Feissel
Gurtner
Habrich
Kouba
Mader
Martin-Mur
Melbourne
Mueller
Neilan
Noll
Poggi
Preiss
Tsuji
Van Loon
Zumberge