Subject: [IGSMAIL-3726]: Integrating Space Geodetic Techniques at Spring AGU
From: Jim Ray (USNO 202-762-1444) <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 8:45:32 EST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      05 Feb 05:45:51 PST 2002      Message Number 3726
******************************************************************************

Author: G. Beutler, J. LaBrecque, J. Ray, T. Yunck

Contributed papers are invited for special Geodesy session G01 on:

          "Integrating Space Geodetic Techniques and Results
                      for Global Earth Observing"

which will be held during the Spring 2002 AGU Meeting, in Washington,
DC, during 28 May - 1 June 2002.

   The Global Space Geodetic Networks and the terrestrial reference frame
   have become the fundamental resource in the measurement of sea level,
   polar mass balance, land surface change, atmospheric dynamics,
   navigation, time transfer, and national cadastral networks.  To advance
   geodesy's contributions to the Earth sciences, the International
   Association of Geodesy (IAG) plans to implement an "Integrated Global
   Geodetic Observing System" in 2003.  This session seeks to explore the
   optimum integration of mature (i.e., SLR, VLBI, GPS, and DORIS) and
   developing and supporting (e.g., GLONASS, GALILEO, altimetry, InSAR,
   gravimetry, etc) techniques in anticipation of the IAG initiative.

   Topics of interest include: scientific objectives and requirements;
   techniques for the efficient and accurate measurement of critical
   parameters and the efficient synthesis of observations; coordination
   of observing programs; local and global ties of the observing
   networks to improve accuracy; limits to accuracy; the definition,
   dissemination, and utilization of the products; etc.  The format of
   the session may include a panel discussion.

Conveners:

   Gerhard Beutler (Astronomical Institute, University of Berne)
   John L. LaBrecque (Office of Earth Science, NASA)
   Jim Ray (U.S. Naval Observatory)
   Tom Yunck (Jet Propulsion Laboratory)

Abstract deadlines:  5 March 2002 via postal mail;
                    12 March 2002 (14:00 UTC) via electronic submission

Website:  http://www.agu.org/meetings/sm02top.html