Subject: [IGSMAIL-3694]: Crustal Deformation Symposium in Santiago de Chile, Oct 2002
From: Jürgen Klotz <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: Jürgen Klotz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 18:34:04 +0100

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      14 Jan 10:14:59 PST 2002      Message Number 3694
******************************************************************************

Author: Jürgen Klotz

IAG Symposium on Recent Crustal Deformation, Santiago de Chile, October 21 –
25, 2002
Together with VII Int. Congress on Earth Sciences
Session: Earthquake Related Studies

Call for Contributions

Dear Colleagues:

The Military Geographic Institute of Chile will organize the VII.
International Congress on Earth Science together with the International
Symposium on ‘Recent Crustal Deformation in South America and Surrounding
Areas’ of IAG Commission XIV ‘Crustal Deformation’ to be held in Santiago de
Chile from 21-25 October 2002. Please consult the website http://www.igm.cl/
for additional information. Within the framework of the symposium a session
about earthquake related studies is planned.

Description of the session:

The western coast of South America is the prime example for a convergent
continental margin. Crustal deformation in this tectonically active area is
dominated by transient effects related to the earthquake cycle. These
effects include the interseismic built-up of elastic strain, the co-seismic
strain release, and post-seismic relaxation processes. The increasing
accuracies of high resolution geodesy are providing new insights into the
earthquake cycle and plate boundary dynamics.

The session ‘Earthquake Related Studies’ will provide a forum for geodetic,
seismologic, geologic and other observations and models that describe
earthquake processes. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
earthquake related deformation measurements, analyses of surface and
subsurface processes, the joint interpretation of complementary data sets,
and future hazard assessment and monitoring strategies.

Short contributions as well as extended presentations are welcome. Overview
talks will summarize our current knowledge of the so called ‘earthquake
deformation cycle’ and will point out the open questions of this research
field.
Please forward this information to other colleagues that might be interested
in the topic.

Best regards,
Jürgen Klotz

----------------------------------------------
PD Dr.-Ing. Jürgen Klotz
GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam (GFZ)
Section 1.1: Kinematics & Neotectonics
Telegrafenberg A 17, D-14473 Potsdam, Germany

phone: +49 (0)331 288-1118
fax: +49 (0)331 288-1759
e-mail: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------