Subject: [IGSMAIL-3655]: EGS Session G9.05 "Combination of Space Geodetic Techniques"
From: Markus Rothacher <[email-masked]>
To: IGSMAIL <[email-masked]>, ILRSMAIL <[email-masked]>, IVSMAIL <[email-masked]>, DORISMAIL <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 16:15:00 +0100

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      21 Dec 07:14:11 PST 2001      Message Number 3655
******************************************************************************

Author: Markus Rothacher

Dear Colleagues,

we would like to remind you of the EGS Session G09.5 taking place
in Nice, France, April 21 - 26, 2002:

"Evolving Space Geodetic Techniques (SLR, GPS, DORIS, Altimetry, VLBI):
Combination of techniques"

You are kindly invited to contribute to this session. The session
description
is given below. The deadline for submission of abstracts is

                    JANUARY 11, 2002.

All necessary information may be found at

     http://www.copernicus.org/EGS/egsga/nice02/nice02.htm

Looking forward to seeing you in Nice.

With best regards,
                            Markus Rothacher
                            Detlef Angermann
                            (Conveners of EGS Session G09.5)

PS: Please note that the description of the session has been modified
compared
    to what is presently available at the EGS web pages in order to
reduce 
    the overlap with session G6. 

***************************************************************************

EGS 2002 Session: Evolving space geodesy techniques
(SLR, GPS, DORIS, Altimetry, VLBI): Combination of techniques
-------------------------------------------------------------

VLBI (Very Long Baseline Interferometry), SLR/LLR (Satellite and Lunar
Laser
Ranging) and the microwave systems GPS, GLONASS and DORIS constitute the
basis
of space geodesy. Each of these techniques contributes in a
different and unique way to the major tasks of space geodesy, namely the
realization of reference frames, the determination of site coordinates
and
velocities, Earth rotation and the gravity field. Because each
individual
technique has its strengths and weaknesses they should be combined into
a
consistent integrated global geodetic observing system (IGGOS).

We welcome contributions, that deal with the comparison, the combination
and
especially the combination methodology of the various techniques 
on the level of the sites (integrated observatories,
collocation, local ties and technical issues), on the level of
common processing standards and parametrizations, and on the 
level of the combined analysis (from a combination of individual
parameter types and normal equations to the combination
on the observation level).
In this context, contributions from the new Combination
Research Centers of the IERS are of great interest.
The final goal of a fully integrated observing system
would be the combination of all parameter types common to more than one
technique and any presentations discussing steps in this direction are
encouraged. The list of common parameters includes site
coordinates (e.g. time series of combined solutions), Earth
orientation parameters, satellite orbits (combined orbits from
SLR, GPS, DORIS, Altimetry), atmospheric refraction
(troposphere and ionosphere), gravity field, geocenter, etc.
The session may also include studies concerning the benefit
of using products from one observation technique as input
to another technique.

*****************************************************************************

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prof. Dr. Markus Rothacher                   Phone : ++49-89-289-23191
Forschungseinrichtung Satellitengeodaesie    Fax   : ++49-89-289-23178
Technische Universitaet Muenchen             E-mail:
[email-masked]
Arcisstrasse 21
D-80290 Muenchen / Germany