Subject: [IGSMAIL-3650]: "Real Time Geodesy" at EGS 2002 (Reminder!)
From: Jim Ray (USNO 202-762-1444) <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked] (IVS Mail), [email-masked] (SLR Mail), [email-masked] (CANSPACE)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:01:38 EST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      18 Dec 11:02:30 PST 2001      Message Number 3650
******************************************************************************

Author: Jim Ray & Hans van der Marel

          European Geophysical Society,  27th General Assembly
                     Nice, France, 22-26 April 2002

          >>>      ABSTRACT DEADLINE: 11 January 2002      <<<

Geodesy Symposium G8.  Real time Geodesy

High-accuracy geodetic applications have generally been satisfied with
post-processing methods, where timeliness of results has been secondary
to quality.  Increasingly, however, new applications are emerging which
require very low latencies as well as high accuracy.  This trend is
enabled by the convergence of a broad range of real-time and near-real-
time technologies that are coming into widespread use.  With the 
realization of these new real-time capabilities, the potential for novel
geodetic applications is further expanded.

This session explores the new opportunities and challenges that are
rapidly opening in the area of real-time and near-real-time geodesy.
The emphasis will be on the driving requirements for low latency, the
enabling technologies, the geodetic implications, and the benefits to be
expected.  Applications that would benefit from these real-time
capabilities can be found, for example, in the field of high-precision
regional and global positioning, meteorology, time transfer, orbit
determination, and other areas.  Well established techniques, such as
most localized real-time kinematic (RTK) and differential methods, are
not appropriate for this session.  While applications based on GPS and
other satellite systems are probably most prominent, reports on similar
activities involving other space geodetic techniques are also encouraged.

Convenors: Jim Ray <[email-masked]>
           Hans van der Marel <[email-masked]>

see <http://www.copernicus.org/EGS/egsga/nice02/nice02.htm>