Subject: [IGSMAIL-3637]: IERS Workshop
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 17:29:01 +0100

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      06 Dec 08:30:18 PST 2001      Message Number 3637
******************************************************************************

Author: IERS Central Bureau

                            FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT

                              IERS WORKSHOP
                                 on the
                 IMPLEMENTATION of the NEW IAU RESOLUTIONS

The International Earth Rotation Service (IERS) will organize a workshop
devoted to the implementation of the IAU XXIV General Assembly
recommendations on reference systems. The workshop will be held at the
Paris Observatory, April 18 - 20, 2002.

Background

During its XXIV General Assembly in August 2000 the IAU agreed to new
resolutions. Namely, the new precession-nutation model was adopted, and
the new Celestial Intermediate Pole, Celestial and Terrestrial Ephemeris
Origins were defined. As a result the whole spectrum of products within
the IERS will be affected. The new resolutions should become effective
on January 1, 2003. This workshop is organized to establish the changes
in IERS products and analyses that will be required in order to comply
with the IAU recommendations. It is anticipated that the structure will
be in the nature of a workshop with only a few traditional style
presentations.

For practical implementations and almanac work it is necessary to

- develop a clear explanation of the concepts of the new celestial
  transformation and the relation to the conventional transformation,
- explain the use of the precession-nutation model IAU 2000 A / B,
- plan the necessary changes in the data services that will be required,
- demonstrate software for the actual implementation of the new systems
  by users.

All researchers and specialists working in field of interest are kindly
invited to participate actively in the workshop.

A follow-up second announcement with a detailed program will be released
in the first half of January 2002 to those who return, not later than
December 31, 2001, the attached pre-registration form by mail, fax or
e-mail to

IERS Central Bureau
Subject: Workshop 2002

Bundesamt fuer Kartographie und Geodaesie
Richard Strauss Allee 11
D-60598 Frankfurt / Main
Germany

Fax: #49-69-6333-425
e-mail: [email-masked] 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

                              IERS WORKSHOP
                                 on the
                 IMPLEMENTATION of the NEW IAU RESOLUTIONS

                          Pre-registration form

Name:

Address:

Phone:

Fax:

E-mail:

[ ]  I intend to participate in the workshop.

[ ]  I will not attend, but I am interested in the results of the
     workshop.