Subject: [IGSMAIL-357] IERS Technical Note
From: J. O. Dickey/JPL
Date: 28 OCT 1993 15:40:02

IGS Electronic Mail       28-OCT-1993 15:40:02       Message Number 357
***********************************************************************

From: J. O. Dickey/JPL
Subj: IERS Technical Note

SECOND MAILING
October 25, 1993
Your Response Please

July 20, 1993

Dear Colleague:

The Directing Board of the International Earth Rotation Series (IERS) has
requested an IERS Technical Note, focusing on the SEARCHÕ92 Campaign.  This
effort, coordinated by the IERS and held in conjunction with the International
GPS Service (IGS) Campaign (June 21-September 22, 1992), investigated high time
resolution (sub-daily) measurements of Earth rotation obtained from all of the
space geodetic techniques in concert with the best available complementary
geophysical, atmospheric and oceanographic data.

You are probably already familiar with the IERS Technical Note Series; examples
include the IERS Standards and the Annexes to the IERS Annual Report.  We
visualize the technical note consisting of three parts:

1)	Introduction
	Here an overview of the campaign would be presented including motivation,
organization and initial results.

2)	Data Section
	This section would consist of articles very much like the annual report.  The
measurements and the analysis techniques should be described in some detail.
The actual numbers would be available upon request through IERS Central Bureau.
Graphical displays of data would be desirable.

3)	Scientific Results
	The section would include a list of relevant publications and reprints of
scientific articles.  We would not ask individuals to write articles especially
for this note but ask to reproduce articles.  For example, some of the articles
from the Berne IGS meeting may be appropriate.  Abstracts from special sessions
at scientific meetings (for example, AGU and EGS meetings) could be included.

We are looking forward to your participation in this matter.  The deadline for
submission would be December 1, 1993.  The camera-ready copy should be submitted
to J. Dickey and the Earth Orientation Parameters (EOP) should be electronically
transferred to the IERS Central Bureau.  Instructions for camera-ready copy
which is the standard Kleuwer Format, are available upon request.  EOP files
transfer  instructions are attached.  Please return the enclosed questionnaire
to aid us in planning.

Thank you for your consideration.

	Sincerely yours,

	Dr. Jean O. Dickey
	Co-Editor, IERS Technical Note,
	   SEARCH'92	
					
	Dr. Martine Feissel
	Co-Editor, IERS Technical Note,
	   SEARCH'92

JOD/MF:kg
IERS Technical Note SEARCH'92	October 25, 1993

Name: 	

___	 I will write an article

___	 I am unsure

___	 I will not write an article

Proposed Title(s):

	

Comments:	

	

Please return to:
	J. O. Dickey
	Jet Propulsion Laboratory
	California Institute of Technology
	Mail Stop 238-332
	4800 Oak Grove Drive
	Pasadena, CA  91109

or Reply via:	FAX: (818) 393-6890
	PHONE: (818) 354-3235
	E-MAIL: [email-masked]

Transmittal to the IERS Central Bureau

The instructions for transmitting Earth rotation results to the IERS Central
Bureau are extracted from the usual Annual Report ones.  Please refer to the
"format.dat" file under anonymous ftp:

ftp 130.84.200.6 (or:  ftp mesiom.obspm.circe.fr)
with login:		anonymous
and password:	name/organization/country

Only the Earth rotation files are expected.  It is not mandatory to provide the
reference frames files, unless the authors wish to.  The reference systems,
models and constants used should be described in the camera-ready text.

To insure clear cross reference between the text and the results file, authors
are invited to ascribe IERS lables to their EOP results [EOP(......).. x ..],
following the constructing rules listed in the 1992 IERS Annual Report (to be
mailed end of July 1993), p. V-3.  The institutes which already contribute
results to IERS should take into account the existing labels, as listed pp. V-4
through V-7.

The results are to be e-mailed to [email-masked] by 1993 November 1.