Subject: [IGSMAIL-3554]: Ottawa IGS Workshop - Postponed
From: "Ruth E. Neilan" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked] (Christoph Reigber), [email-masked] (Norm Beck), [email-masked] (Pierre Tetreault)
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:02:13 -0700

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      02 Oct 13:02:19 PDT 2001      Message Number 3554
******************************************************************************

Author: Ruth Neilan, IGS CB

Dear Colleagues,

It is with great regret we inform you that the Ottawa IGS Workshop, 
'Towards Real-Time', will be postponed until early next year. This is 
after careful consideration and discussions with Chris Reigber for 
the IGS Governing Board and NRCan host and principal organizers. This 
decision is largely due to recent travel restrictions for a number of 
the US organizations that impact about 20% of registered attendees. 
This is the first all component workshop of the IGS in many years and 
is very important for bringing the IGS together and addressing new 
activities and applications. It is also recognized that due to recent 
events, people may be hesitant to travel and yet many still planned 
to participate because this is such a key workshop.

It was therefore decided that for maximum likelihood of a successful 
and effective workshop, it is best to reschedule.  This is with the 
expectation that such action will restore the diverse attendance and 
participation. This is certainly desired and necessary for the IGS to 
move forward in emerging new directions through the continued active 
discussion and consensus building characteristic of our community. 
Much work has already been devoted to this workshop as evidenced by 
the excellent position papers and lively dialog on key issues already 
well in development.

The date for the future workshop will be decided in the very near 
future (~March to early May) and it is hoped that all registrants 
will make every effort to attend. The agenda and issues should remain 
essentially the same but may be modified depending on changes that 
occur in the next few months.

I would like to thank Pierre Tetreault for his persistence and the 
excellent program that has resulted, and to our colleagues in NRCan 
-- this is a difficult decision when they have already invested so 
much. Many thanks to the session co-chairs, position paper authors 
and presenters for all the preparations to date; hopefully the 
additional time will further enhance the technical preparations and 
stimulate required additional Working Group activities. The 
rescheduled venue will certainly provide for renewed relations with 
all of our IGS friends and colleagues.

with sincere regrets,

Ruth Neilan
-- 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  International GPS Service - Central Bureau
        Jet Propulsion Laboratory
    tel: 818-354-8330, fax: 818-393-6686
          mobile: 626-975-1136
        <[email-masked]>
         http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^