Subject: [IGSMAIL-3514]: SVN 19 anomaly test details (fwd)
From: Jim Ray (USNO 202-762-1444) <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 16:41:01 EDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      07 Sep 13:41:04 PDT 2001      Message Number 3514
******************************************************************************

Author: Frank Lorge (forwarded by Jim Ray via NOAA/NGS)

Subject: SVN 19 Anomaly Tests
   Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:43:25 -0400
   From: "Frank Lorge"<[email-masked]>
     To: many addresses

     All,
     
     The final test plan for the SVN 19 waveform anomaly test was released 
     yesterday.  The test will be conducted next week, September 10-12. 
     The goal of the test is to collect data on the failed hardware chain 
     that caused the anomalous ('evil') waveform in 1993.  During the test 
     the satellite will be set unhealthy and should not create a problem 
     for users.
     
     The failure was originally detected by differential GPS users using 
     disparate receivers, and resulted in a relative position error of 3 to 
     8 meters.  Errors of this magnitude would not normally be detected by 
     most users.  As noted above, since the satellite will be set unhealthy 
     for this test, a normal receiver will not use the satellite in a 
     solution.  Specialized receivers will be used during the test to track 
     the signal.
     
     Users who do experience problems during the test should report them 
     through the Coast Guard 24-hour information watch.  The phone number 
     for the watch is (703) 313-5900 and email: [email-masked]. 
     Pilots who experience problems should contact their nearest flight 
     service station to report the details.  Testing will be halted if a 
     large number of users detect problems.

     The detailed schedule follows:
     
      Monday     J253/1300 - J254/0306   Configuration 1 
      Tuesday    J254/2003 - J255/0302   Configuration 1 
      Wednesday  J255/2000 - J256/0258   Configuration 2
     
     Notes:
     
     These dates are julian dates.  Day 253 is September 10.
     
     All times are in GPS time, which is basically equivalent to UTC.  Time 
     1300 therefore corresponds to 0900 on the east coast.
     
     In Configuration 1, the NDU Baseband and Processor will re-configured 
     to the A-side, and the L1 MOD-IPA will also be configured on the 
     A-side.
     
     In Configuration 2, the NDU Baseband and Processor will remain on the 
     A-side, while the L1 MOD-IPA will be re-configured to the B-side.
     
     Note that transmission of P(Y) on L1 and L2 is at the discretion of 
     the test operator (2 SOPS/DOUAN.)

     
     Any other comments or requests or requests for additional detail may 
     be addressed through me.
     
     Frank Lorge
     GPS Civil Test Director
     [email-masked]
     609-485-4588