Subject: [IGSMAIL-3120]: NTUS temporarily unavailable
From: Boudewijn Ambrosius <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 23:40:21 +0100 (MET)

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      01 Dec 14:40:24 PST 2000      Message Number 3120
******************************************************************************

Author: Boudewijn Ambrosius & Danny van Loon (DEOS/DUT)

Following up on IGS-mail #2931, we have to report that during the past 
5 months, the data flow from NTUS (Singapore) has gradually become 
increasingly erratic, and finally came to a full stop on day 294. Due 
to the long distance, it was difficult to assess the problem. In 
October, Danny van Loon visited the station and tested alternative 
cables, antennas and locations. The problem could not be localized. 
Eventually we had the receiver returned to Delft and tested it in 
Kootwijk. Initially it seemed OK, but after a short while the same 
problems (frequent loss of lock) appeared. By chance, Danny found that 
the receiver (AOA SNR-12 ACT #229) worked well when he connected it to 
an external frequency source. So, the problem seems to be with the 
internal clock. Around the same time, two other AOA receivers broke 
down in Kootwijk (KOSG). Therefore, we will keep #229 at KOSG for the 
time being. Another unit has been shipped to AOA for repair and will be 
installed at NTUS asap.

We are very embarrassed with the situation. Local support by Singapore 
staff has been excellent. However, the frequent mysterious break-downs 
of AOA equipment are difficult to diagnose at remote locations. We 
sincerely hope NTUS will be back on-line soon. We regret the 
inconvenience these problems may (have) cause(d).

Boudewijn and Danny