Subject: [IGSMAIL-3114]: Corrections to Network Workshop Summary, IGSMAIL 3105
From: "Ruth E. Neilan" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "Hans Peter Plag" <[email-masked]>, Jan Dousa <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:52:40 -0800

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      27 Nov 16:49:57 PST 2000      Message Number 3114
******************************************************************************

Author: Ruth Neilan

Dear colleagues,

In the Oslo Network Workshop Summary, I mistakenly wrote that Jan 
Dousa received the Best Poster Presentation Award for a paper titled 
'On Hourly Orbit Determination', co-authored by  Leos Mervart. The 
award was actually for Jan's individual poster "The Impact of 
Ultra-rapid Orbits on Precipitable Water Vapor Estimation Using 
Ground GPS Network". I am sorry for this mistake and any confusion it 
may have caused  -- thanks to Hans-Peter Plag for bringing this to my 
attention.  Again, many thanks to Ashtech for their generous 
contribution to the IGS.

I'd also like to clarify a point in the same summary concerning the 
data formats issue - it is important to note that there are two 
format issues being discussed: one for LEO GPS flight data and one to 
support a future real-time GPS network within the IGS.

In Oslo there was consensus that there is no reason to go to a binary 
exchange format for file-based LEO GPS or high-rate ground network 
data, provided the RINEX observation file format can accommodate the 
requirements for the data (type, resolution, etc). Thanks to Hatanaka 
the compressed RINEX file is superior to any known binary format with 
respect to disk space requirements.

There was also an agreement that a binary exchange format may be 
needed for streamed data if such data should be made available (in 
real time, i.e. in streamed form) to the general public.

More information on these discussions and proposals will be 
forthcoming from  Werner Gurtner, who is responsible for the RINEX 
definition, the LEO Working Group and the committee established at 
the Oslo workshop to address real-time data formats.  (ref. IGSMail # 
3106 from Angelyn Moore).

Any further questions, corrections, or clarifications, please advise,

sincere regards,

Ruth

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IGS Central Bureau/Jet Propulsion Laboratory
tel: 818-354-8330, fax: 818-393-6686
       <[email-masked]>