Subject: [IGSMAIL-3091]: Geodesy and Meteorology session in EGS
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 12:09:54 -0800 (PST)

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      06 Nov 12:05:36 PST 2000      Message Number 3091
******************************************************************************

Author: P. Fang

There will be a Geodesy and Meteorology session in EGS, Nice, France 2001.
Hope the scientific program (see below) may excite some of you.

Peng Fang

From: Ramon Hanssen <[email-masked]>
Subject: Geodesy and Meteorology session EGS

Dear colleague,

We would like to draw your attention to session G5 (Geodesy and Meteorology)
of the Geodesy section of EGS:

          European Geophysical Society,  26th General Assembly
                     Nice, France, 26-30 March  2001

Session: G5. Geodesy and Meteorology (Ramon Hanssen and Jennifer Haase,
convenors)

Advances in space-geodetic techniques such as GPS, InSAR, and VLBI in
terms of accuracy and reliability enable the interpretation of the
observed spatially or temporally varying atmospheric delay for
meteorological purposes.  This, in combination with the increased
number of continuous space-geodetic networks provides the necessary
ingredients towards the integration of the observations in operational
meteorology. Awareness of the potential of this type of data within
the meteorological community has led to significant recent advances in
testing the assimilation of the geodetic data, particularly
ground-based GPS data.  Exploitation of data from the other geodetic
sources are in a more preliminary state.  It is necessary to have a
forum where advances from the meteorological community are discussed
in the light of parallel advances in processing and analysis from the
geodetic community.  While data representation and interpretation of
delay observations are relatively straightforward for the case of GPS
zenith delays, these issues have to be re-examined for SAR data, for
example.  Alternative methods to direct assimilation, including but
not limited to refractive delay tomography, shall also be topics for
discussion in the session.

Deadline for receipt of abstracts is  December 1, 2000

Information on abstract submission, program, and venue, see:

   http://www.copernicus.org/EGS/egsga/nice01/nice01.htm

Looking forward to seeing you in Nice,

Ramon Hanssen
Jennifer Haase

--
Ramon Hanssen______________________________________________________
Delft Institute for Earth-Oriented Space Research, Delft University
of Technology, Thijsseweg 11, 2629 JA, Delft, the Netherlands
phone: ++31 15 278 2565, fax: 278 3711,  [email-masked]
___________________________________________________________________
Dr. Jennifer S. Haase
ACRI Mecanique Appliquee et Sciences de l'Environnement
260, Route du Pin Montard - BP 234
06904 Sophia Antipolis, FRANCE
Tel: +33 4 92 96 75 19 Fax: +33 4 93 95 80 98 
email: [email-masked]  http://www.acri.fr
___________________________________________________________________