Subject: [IGSMAIL-3077]: IAG Symposium on Vertical Reference Systems
From: Hermann Drewes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:58:33 +0200

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      27 Oct 08:44:03 PDT 2000      Message Number 3077
******************************************************************************

Author: Hermann Drewes, DGFI Muenchen

Dear colleagues:

Please let me remind you of the IAG Symposium on 'Vertical Reference 
Systems to be held in Cartagena, Colombia, February 20-23, 2000. (See
also the web page http://codazzi9.igac.gov.co or the mirror version at
http://www.dgfi.badw.de/veres/veres.html). The symposium will basically
focus on the unification of height systems in a global frame and the 
use of GPS for this purpose (e.g., connecting the heights of principal 
tide gauges defining the classical height systems).

One central issue of the symposium will be the establishment of the new 
unified American vertical reference frame SIRGAS III for North, Central
and South America which was realized by about 180 stations all over the 
Americas observed in a GPS campaign in May 2000. This frame will serve as 
a basis for future height determinations using GPS in all the countries. 
Papers on the use of GPS for precise height determination are therefore 
highly appreciated. As the president of the scientific committee, I'd 
like to invite you to send me your contributions to the symposium.

The deadline for submitting abstracts is October 31, 2000, i.e., within 
five days. However, there will be no problem of acceptance, if you send
your abstract some days later or directly to me. I think a strong
participation from the GPS community in this IAG Symposium is extremely
important and I'm looking forward to receive your contributions.

With my best regards
Hermann Drewes