Subject: [IGSMAIL-2988]: CHAMP Data Preparation and Exploitation: User Requests
From: Roman Galas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:06:25 +0200 (MET DST)

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      31 Aug 07:06:28 PDT 2000      Message Number 2988
******************************************************************************

Author: Ch. Reigber
Subject: CHAMP Data Preparation and Exploitation: User Requests

Dear Colleagues,

the technical commissioning phase of the CHAMP satellite was
successfully closed by the end of July after having tested out the
functions and performance of all satellite subsystems and payload
instruments. Since then the satellite is flying stable in nominal
attitude and all instruments and board sensors are, to the present
knowledge, working well and producing the expected data.

These data have to be analysed now in detail by a combined processing to
determine the calibration parameters, to verify the performance and
accuracy of the instruments and to establish and test the most
appropriate processing procedures. The overall data flow, the
Operations and mission control have to be optimised and automized during
this accommodation and calibration/validation phase. This phase with an
increased work load in data analysis including software modifications on
board and on ground shall extend presumably over nine months. At the
end, all CHAMP science data shall be assorted with reliable and proved
calibration parameters and background information which are necessary
for the exploitation of the data. This includes the antennae and
attitude offsets, drift parameters, scaling factors and reductions due
to the on-board environment.

The release of the data, i.e., the service for the users to continuously

provide the defined CHAMP data products as well as technical information

needed for using the data, will start operation towards the end of the
accommodation phase as soon as the personnel requirements are fulfilled.

The service will provide the products to the user community as a whole
and, in general, not in reaction to single user requests.
In the time frame of October/November 2000 it is planned to put
short sample data sets and format descriptions out of CHAMP’s
received data at the user community’s disposal to get acquainted
with the data and to enable the software preparation.
The full release of the products including technical specifications,
information and interpretation support will take place within the
framework of defined projects in reaction to an “Announcement
of Opportunity” to be issued by GFZ. Proposals for funding the
increased work load and service efforts related to the AO were
submitted and are presently under evaluation.

signed by

Prof. Dr. Ch. Reigber (CHAMP Project Director)
Prof. Dr. H. Luehr (Science Operation System Manager)
Dr. P. Schwintzer (Science Data System Manager)

GFZ Potsdam, 31 August 2000