Subject: [IGSMAIL-2984]: Vacancies at GFZ Potsdam/Sea level change project
From: Alexander Braun <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 16:20:24 +0200

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      28 Aug 07:20:33 PDT 2000      Message Number 2984
******************************************************************************

Author: Christoph Reigber

Dear IGS Colleagues,

the GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam (GFZ)
announces seven open positions in the HGF-Project SEAL
to be filled as soon as possible.
The attached job announcement will soon appear in EOS together with
another eight
open positions of the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine
Research.
Please inform your colleagues and refer potential candidates to the
announcement. Further information can be found at
http://op.gfz-potsdam.de/seal .

Best Regards,

Christoph Reigber
SEAL Projectcoordinator

 

                   The GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam (GFZ) invites
applications for

                seven positions in geosciences, engineering and
information technology

        in the project SEAL - "Sea Level Change - An Integrated Approach
to its Quantification" .

SEAL is a large-scale research project of the Hermann von Helmholtz
Association of German Research Centres
(HGF) focussing on an integrated strategy for quantifying sea level
changes on various space and time
scales. The project co-ordinated by the GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam
(GFZ) uses the interdisciplinary
expertise of the cooperating HGF Research Centres Alfred Wegener
Institute for Polar and Marine Research
(AWI), GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam (GFZ) and GKSS Research Centre
Geesthacht (GKSS). The project"s major
tasks are sea level observation, glacial isostasy, ice mass transfer and
ocean modelling.

The successful candidates are expected to work in interdisciplinary
cooperation between the participating
project sections and the different project locations. The specific
fields of cooperation are indicated in
brackets respectively.

We are looking for scientists to fill in the following positions

G1. Research Scientist for the subproject "Gravity field and precision
orbit determination" (Ref.-No.
51/1) 

Tasks:

      State-of-the-art gravity field modelling using CHAMP and GRACE
data

      Determination and processing/reprocessing of precision orbits for
past, present and future altimeter
      missions

      Joint research in time variable gravity field with ocean and ice
modellers 

Desired qualifications:

      Ph.D. degree in geodesy, mathematics, geophysics or physics 

      Excellent computing skills

      Sound background in gravity field and satellite orbit
determination

G2. Research Scientist for the subproject "Multi-mission satellite
altimetry" (Ref.-No. 52/1) 

Tasks:

      Reanalysis/Analysis of past (GEOSAT, ERS-1/2), present
(TOPEX-Poseidon) and upcoming (JASON-1,
      ENVISAT) radar altimetry data

      Generation and analysis of homogeneous time series of sea surface
height

      Calibration of altimetry data using GPS-buoy and tide gauge data

      Supporting the assimilation of altimetry data into numerical ocean
models 

Desired qualifications:

      Degree in geodesy, geophysics or oceanography (Ph.D. preferred)

      Background in satellite altimetry or other remote sensing
techniques 

      Good computing skills 

G3. Research Scientist for the subproject "GPS-controlled tide gauges"
(Ref.-No. 53/1) 

Tasks:

      Processing of GPS data from a global network of CGPS controlled
tide gauges

      Analysis of tide gauge data to recover sea level change

      Joint analysis (Position G7) of glacial isostatic adjustment at
tide gauges

      Joint research (Positions G2, G4) in calibration of altimetry data
and GPS-buoy technology

Desired qualifications:

      Ph. D. degree in geodesy, geophysics or oceanography 

      Experience in GPS data processing

      Basic knowledge in physical oceanography

      Good computing skills

G4. Research Scientist for the subproject "GPS-equipped buoys" (Ref.-No.
54/1) 

Tasks:

      Development of a GPS-equipped buoy

      Deployment and operation of buoy

      Joint processing (Position G3) of GPS data 

      Joint research (Position G2) in calibration of JASON-1 and ENVISAT
altimetry data 

Desired qualifications:

      Degree in geodesy, oceanography, geophysics or marine technology
(Ph.D. preferred)

      Background in physical oceanography or GPS technology

      Good technical skills and computing skills

G5. Research Scientist for the subproject "3-D viscoelastic field
theory" (Ref.-No. 55/1) 

Tasks:

      Development of 3-D semi-spectral solution algorithms

      Development of associated software

      Calibration of 3-D solution

      Predictions of glacial isostatic adjustment for 3-D earth models
and comparisons with 1-D reference
      earth models

Desired qualifications:

      Ph.D. degree in geophysics, physics or mathematics

      Experience in numerical methods and software development

      Good background in continuum mechanics

G6. Research Scientist for the subproject "Determination of mantle
viscosity" (Ref.-No. 56/1) 

Tasks:

      Coupling of viscoelastic earth model and thermomechanical model of
Pleistocene ice sheets

      Deployment and operation of GPS stations in Canada

      Selection of ground and satellite data

      Data inversion in terms of 1-D and 3-D mantle viscosity

Desired qualifications:

      Degree in geophysics or geodesy (Ph. D. preferred)

      Some experience in data handling

      Good background in continuum mechanics and global dynamics

G7. Research Scientist for the subproject "Determination of sea level
change" (Ref.-No. 57/1) 

Tasks:

      Selection of tide gauge stations

      Construction of 1-D and 3-D viscoelastic earth models

      Construction of models of modern ice sheets and glaciers

      Predictions of vertical motion and sea level change in response to
recent changes in glaciation

Desired qualifications:

      Ph.D. degree in geophysics or geodesy

      Some experience in data handling

      Good background in global dynamics and glaciology

All positions are fully funded for 3 years. Salary is based on the
German civil service remuneration
system. Starting date will be as soon as possible. The closing date for
applications is three weeks after
publication. Place of work will be Potsdam (positions G3, G5, G6, G7)
and Oberpfaffenhofen near Munich
(positions G1, G2, G4). GFZ is an equal opportunity employer. Aspiring
Ph.D. candidates with a comparable
to the desired background are also encouraged to apply. 

For more information, please contact: Prof. Dr. Ch. Reigber (phone: +49
331 288 1100 or e-mail:
[email-masked])

Qualified applicants should send application documents (please include
curriculum vitae, short statement
of research interests, list of publications, copies of diploma and Ph.D.
certificate) to:
GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam, Abteilung Personal- und Sozialwesen,
Telegrafenberg, D-14473 Potsdam,
Germany. Please state the Reference Number(s).

GFZ is a member of the Hermann von Helmholtz Association of German
Research Centers and Federal Research
Institution. Further Information on the GFZ is available under
http://www.gfz-potsdam.de.

Further information about the job offers of the cooperating HGF Research
Centres Alfred Wegener Institute
for Polar and Marine Research (AWI) and GKSS Research Centre Geesthacht
(GKSS) for this project are
available at http://www.awi-bremerhaven.de and http://www.gkss.de