Subject: [IGSMAIL-292] Network Operations for the IGS
From: R. Neilan
Date: 22 JUL 1993 09:16:00

IGS Electronic Mail       22-JUL-1993 09:16:00       Message Number 292
***********************************************************************

From: R. Neilan
Subj: Network Operations for the IGS
------------------------------------

IGS Central Bureau Status Report, 7.21.93

There have been a several messages over the last week concerning network
operations and timeliness of data delivery to analysis centers.  I would
like to update IGS colleagues as to the actions that are being taken in one
instance to restore the service immediately, as well as plans to improve
the network operations:
1) I spoke with Gerry Mader at the NGS today as soon as I heard of the
inability to contact the NGS via e-mail (IGS Message #288,289).  Gerry
Mader confirmed that they are experiencing a hardware failure that is
impacting their ability to upload data from stations to the Global Data
Center level.  This is due to the recent physical move of his group to a
new location (IGS Message #253) and configuration upgrades of their
electronic connection to the outside world.

Both Gerry and I agreed that these types of problems adversely affect the
delivery of data to analysis centers and must be resolved quickly so that
the analysis centers are affected as little as possible.  We recommend
that:
1) Each GPS station have a full back-up retrieval route;
2) Each Operational Center should establish redundant method(s) of
retrieving data, formatting data and forwarding to the Global Data Centers;
3) Until the NGS system is operational, JPL will immediately upload data
routinely handled by the NGS:(Westford, Hartebeesthoek, Pamatai) in their
BODHI system to the CDDIS.  JPL is also willing to retrieve, format and
upload data from other NGS stations on a temporary basis, and would like to
develop a similar back-up capability with the NGS and other partner agencies.
This will commence as soon as possible.

Furthermore, with regards to planning future improvements, it was proposed
at the Bern Workshop that we convene an IGS Network Operations Workshop to
address these particular issues and focus on advisory notifications,
configuration management, automatic operations, improving timeliness to
less than 24 hours, etc.  Gerry is willing to host such a workshop at the
new NGS facility.  This East coast location should be convenient for our
European Colleagues, and we tentatively propose the 18-20 of October for
this working group.  (More information in the near future.)

Currently, many stations have been sending out problem advisories via IGS
mail and this is working satisfactorily.  This poses a problem when the e-
mail connection is interrupted.  In this case, I suggest a FAX or phone
call be placed to the Central Bureau to log these problems and so that an
advisory can be distributed as necessary (numbers listed below).  We can
further address these issues and refine the process at the workshop this
October.

As part of the IGS Station Resource Book that is being generated (IGS
Message #286) I think that it would be very useful to include detailed
descriptions of the data retrieval and pathways for the data flow from each
Global Network Station to the respective Global Data Center.

Ruth

======================================================================
Ruth E. Neilan                     Telephone:   (818)-354-8330
IGS Central Bureau                 FAX:         (818)-393-6686
Jet Propulsion Laboratory          Email:       [email-masked]
4800 Oak Grove Dr.
Pasadena, CA 91109
======================================================================