Subject: [IGSMAIL-2841]: Passing of Vaughn Nelson
From: "Murdoch, Alan" <[email-masked]>
To: IGSMAIL <[email-masked]>, SLRMAIL <[email-masked]>, IVSMAIL <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:14:15 -0400

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      16 May 08:17:49 PDT 2000      Message Number 2841
******************************************************************************

Author: Alan Murdoch
Subject: Passing of Vaughn Nelson

Dear Colleagues,

It is with the greatest sadness that I send this E-mail to all the friends
and colleagues of Vaughn Nelson.

Vaughn E. Nelson passed away last Friday, May 12, at Howard County General
Hospital after a lifetime of dedicated service to his country, his family
and our community.  Born in May 1938 in Colorado, Vaughn served almost 22
years in the U.S. Army's Geodetic Surveying organizations, and served in the
U.S., Japan, Viet Nam, Germany, Liberia and Korea, during which time he
received 15 awards for Meritorious Service and 3 for Valor.  Vaughn
completed his military career as the Assistant Director of the Department of
Survey, at the Defense Mapping School at Ft. Belvoir, with the rank of Chief
Warrant Officer. 

Vaughn joined Honeywell Technology Solutions Inc., (then Bendix Field
Engineering Corp.) in April 1979 as a Senior First Order Surveyor, and held
a number of positions of increasing responsibility in the corporation until
his retirement as the Surveying Supervisor in December 1998.  Throughout
this time, Vaughn led the corporation's Geodetic Surveying activities, and
created a world-class capability to support NASA's STDN, NMOS, SLR and VLBI
programs, and Space Geodesy organizations worldwide.  Vaughn's contribution
to our community cannot be over stated and I am sure he will be forever
remembered through the precise surveying monuments known throughout the
world as Nelson Piers.

Vaughn's family has informed me that here will be a viewing on
Monday May 29 from 6-8pm at
Witzke Funeral Home
5555 Twin Knolls Road
Columbia, MD 21045 U.S.A
Tel: 410-992-9090

There will also be a graveside service at 
Arlington National Cemetery on
Tuesday May 30 at 3pm

Vaughn is survived by his wife Karel, his three children Russell, Renee and
Ralean, and his grandchildren.  I will personally extend the condolences of
our community to his family.

Please free to contact my office should you require any additional
information.

Alan Murdoch
Director, Earth Sciences and Laser Technologies
Civil Program
Honeywell Technology Solutions Inc.
7515 Mission Drive, Lanham MD, 20706
Tel:	301 805-3993
Fax:	301 805-3974
E-mail: [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>