Subject: [IGSMAIL-2799]: JPL 1s data processing change, PIMO and USUD back on
From: Dave Stowers <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 01:25:56 +0000

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      14 Apr 18:25:56 PDT 2000      Message Number 2799
******************************************************************************

Author: Dave Stowers

Dear Colleagues,

As you may already know, several sites are operating with a 1s samplerate 
and later converted to 30s RINEX. Some have been operated in this mode with the
intention of alleviating the L2 tracking problems being experienced by some
receivers. Others are operated in this mode to provide support for LEO missions.

The purpose of this message is to announce the introduction of changes to 
the process used at JPL to convert the 1s offload format to 30s RINEX.

Old method: 1s data translated to 1s TurboBinary format,
            1s TurboBinary 'normal-pointed' to 30s TurboBinary,
            30s TurboBinary translated to RINEX using teqc

New method: 1s data 'normal-pointed' and translated to 30s RINEX using soc2rnx,
            RINEX is passed through teqc as a check and to add header info

The IGS sites currently operating in this mode are:

FAIR - ACT
SANT - ACT
KOKB - ACT
CRO1 - ACT
GALA - z12
PIMO - TR
USUD - TR

Please note that this change does not specifically address the concerns 
regarding the usability of TurboRogue data from PIMO and USUD for all
applications, but data from those sites will be made available again so
that applications which can benefit from their use can do so. The change
is intended to allow us to begin publishing data from sites which have 
replacement receivers operating. IGSmail notices and sitelog updates will be 
forthcoming, starting with MKEA.

The RINEX files produced using soc2rnx include sufficient header information
to determine that a particular file was processed using the new method.
An example hourly RINEX header for site FAIR follows
(and indicates that both soc2rnx and teqc have operated on the data):

     2.10           OBSERVATION DATA    G (GPS)             RINEX VERSION / TYPE
teqc  2000Feb3      gpsops              20000414 23:01:52UTCPGM / RUN BY / DATE
    30.0000                                                 INTERVAL
     1     1                                                WAVELENGTH FACT L1/2
     5    L1    L2    P1    P2    C1                        # / TYPES OF OBSERV
OSF1 V4.0 564|Alpha|cc 4.4.18.4|=+|=|                       COMMENT
soc2rnx ver 1.2 04/14/2000 gps 14-Apr-2000 23:01:50.000UTC  COMMENT
 SNR is mapped to RINEX snr flag value [1,4-9]              COMMENT
    SNR:   >316  >100  >31.6  >10  >3.2    >0 bad=0         COMMENT
L1 & L2:      9     8     7     6     5     4     1         COMMENT
                                                            COMMENT
This data is provided as a public service by NASA/JPL.      COMMENT
No warranty is expressed or implied regarding suitability   COMMENT
for use.  For further information, contact:                 COMMENT
Dave Stowers, NASA/JPL m/s 238-600                          COMMENT
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena CA 91109 USA                 COMMENT
                                                            COMMENT
  2000     4    14    22     0    0.0000000     GPS         TIME OF FIRST OBS
GNOG                JPL                                     OBSERVER / AGENCY
175                 AOAD/M_T        JPLA                    ANT # / TYPE
 -2281621.4021 -1453595.7944  5756961.9292                  APPROX POSITION XYZ
        0.0863        0.0000        0.0000                  ANTENNA: DELTA H/E/N
R134-U              AOA SNR-8100 ACT    3.3.32.2            REC # / TYPE / VERS
FAIR                                                        MARKER NAME
40408M001                                                   MARKER NUMBER
                                                            END OF HEADER

Best regards,

-dave

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
David Stowers,  JPL/Caltech,  Satellite Geodesy and Geodynamics Systems
4800 Oak Grove Drive, M/S 238-600, Pasadena, CA, USA
Tel. +1 818-354-7055, fax +1 818-393-4965, E-mail [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------