Subject: [IGSMAIL-2742]: Analysis Workshop -- 2nd Announcement
From: Jim Ray (USNO 202-762-1444) <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:10:55 EST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      14 Mar 09:10:37 PST 2000      Message Number 2742
******************************************************************************

Author: Jim Ray

                      IGS Analysis Center Workshop
                         U.S. Naval Observatory
                          Washington, DC, USA

                          25-29 September 2000

                 http://maia.usno.navy.mil/igs-wrkshp/

Accommodations
=========================================================================
NOTE:  September is considered a "busy" time in Washington, so rooms will
book-up in advance.  ATTENDEES ARE ENCOURAGED TO MAKE PLANS EARLY!

* The Savoy Suites Georgetown:  2505 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
  ----------------------------
  Located out the back gate within easy walking distance of USNO.  We have a
  block of 20 rooms at the rate of: $139.00 for a single, $149.00 for a
  double, or $129.00 government rate.  The rooms must be reserved before
  24 August 2000, and you should mention IGS-USNO when making arrangements.
  Phone number for reservations: +1-202-337-9700

* The Holiday Inn Georgetown:  2101 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
  ---------------------------
  Located out the back-gate within easy walking distance of USNO.  We have a
  block of 80 rooms at the rate of: $159.00 for a single, $169.00 for a
  double, or $118.00 government rate.  40 rooms must be reserved before
  24 July 2000; the other 40 rooms before 24 August 2000.  You should mention
  IGS-USNO when making arrangements.  Note: There is an additional charge of
  $15.00 per day for parking a car at this hotel.
  Phone number for reservations: +1-202-338-4600

* Marriott Wardman Park Hotel:  2660 Woodley Road, NW.
  ----------------------------
  Located on the Metro Rail Red line, within ~1 mile/1.6 km of USNO.  It is
  possible to walk to USNO from this hotel; however in bad weather, a taxi
  would be recommended since the shortest route is on an unpaved trail
  through Normanstone Park.  We do not have a block of rooms, but the hotel
  does offer a government rate of $118.00 for a single.  YOU MUST CALL ASAP
  TO GET THIS RATE!  For non-government guests, the rate is $259.00 for a
  single.
  Phone number for reservations: +1-800-228-9290

For directions near USNO, refer to the map at:
http://maia.usno.navy.mil/igs-wrkshp/USNO_region.jpg .
The Savoy and Holiday Inn are indicated.  The Marriott is adjacent to the
Woodley Park-Zoo Metro stop (also indicated) at the corner of Woodley Road
and Connecticut Avenue.

IGS/BIPM Timing Project Workshop                     25-26 September 2000
=========================================================================
Position Paper: Jim Ray, Tim Springer, Felicitas Arias, Gerard Petit

Monday, 25 September 2000
-------------------------
  * Morning -- Data Analysis Issues
       o Overview of analysis issues: Jim Ray
       o IGS clock combination -- Results, problems, discussion: Tim Springer
       o Other analysis reports
       o IGS clock alignment strategies

  * Afternoon -- Instrumental Calibration Issues
       o Overview of calibration issues: Gerard Petit
       o Hardware calibration studies
       o Differential calibration studies
       o Stability & frequency issues

Tuesday, 26 September 2000
--------------------------
  * Morning -- Inter-Technique Comparisons
       o Results, problems, discussion ...

  * Morning -- New GPS Installations at Timing Labs
       o Overview of installation issues: Jan Johansson 
       o Hardware options & considerations
       o Multipath mitigation
       o Stabilization recommendations
       o Interactions with receiver manufacturers

  * Afternoon -- Recommendations & Actions
       o Open discussion
       o Conclusions & recommendations

  * Posters -- Other contributions

Analysis Center Workshop                             27-29 September 2000
=========================================================================

Wednesday, 27 September 2000
----------------------------
  * IGS Ultra-Rapid Products & Their Use for Atmospheric Sounding
    Position Paper: Peng Fang, Gerd Gendt, Tony Mannucci

    [This session will cover the status of the new Ultra-Rapid products,
    changes since the SIO Workshop, problems needing resolution, etc.
    Also, major users or potential users are being invited to interact
    with the IGS over questions of usefulness, etc.]

Thursday, 28 September 2000
---------------------------
  * Morning -- Possible Role of the IGS in GALILEO
    Position Paper: Pascal Willis & John Dow

    [This and the GPS operations topic will mostly aim to open lines of
    communication and explore areas of mutual interest/benefit.  A position
    paper should be considered to outline a future role for the IGS.]

  * Morning -- GPS System Operations & Interactions with 2SOPS
    Conveners: Jim Ray, Yoaz Bar-Sever (no position paper)

    [This topic will mostly aim to open lines of communication and explore
    areas of mutual interest/benefit.  Issues to raise are the increase in
    the number of satellites subject to attitude control thrusting, new
    signal structures proposed, policy changes, etc.  Possibilities to
    provide early warnings to the IGS of events that affect satellite orbits,
    esp. for real-time use, should be considered.  Also, the IGS might be
    able to help 2SOPS in specific ways, such as accuracy assessments, etc.]

  * Afternoon -- Integration of GLONASS into the IGS
    Position Paper: Jim Slater, Robert Weber

    [This is an opportunity for the new GLONASS Pilot Project to present
    ideas for gradually integrating GLONASS into the IGS mainstream.  The
    focus here should be on analysis and related issues.]

Friday, 29 September 2000
-------------------------
  * Morning -- Analysis Center Innovations
    Convener: Tim Springer (no position paper)

    [This session will be open to the ACs to submit possible presentations.
    The idea is to supplement the usual AC posters with material of special
    emphasis or wide importance on new developments by the ACs.]

  * Morning -- Other Topics
    Convener: ??? (no position paper)

  * Afternoon -- Summary Session for Conveners

    [The usual wrap-up session among the workshop conveners and organizers.
    A summary of all the workshop recommendations and actions will be
    finalized.]

Response Form
=========================================================================
It would be very helpful for local planning if potential attendees would
indicate their interest by completing & returning the form below.

Name:

Organization:

Likelihood of attending:
       possible          probable          very likely

Which days:
       25-26 Sept. -- IGS/BIPM Timing Project Workshop
       27-29 Sept. -- Analysis Center Workshop
       25-29 Sept. -- both workshops

Interest in presenting work:
       oral or poster?
       topic:

Comments:

Please return to [email-masked]