Subject: [IGSMAIL-2722]: GLONASS Pilot Project
From: "Prof. Christoph Reigber" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:21:43 +0100

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      25 Feb 02:19:33 PST 2000      Message Number 2722
******************************************************************************

Author: Ch. Reigber

Dear colleagues,

The IGS Governing Board (GB) has approved the initiation of a GLONASS
Pilot Project within the IGS.

The charter for this pilot project states that:

The International GLONASS Service - Pilot Project (IGLOS-PP) is a
pilot service of the International GPS Service (IGS) to track and
analyze data from the Russian GLONASS satellite constellation.  The
primary products of the service are dual-frequency observations from
the global tracking network and precise orbits computed for each
satellite.  These are made available to support and encourage other
applications and studies.  In particular, the products  facilitate
the use of combined GLONASS and GPS observations for scientific and
engineering applications, and allow users to experiment with the
combined systems as a prototype Global Navigation Satellite System
(GNSS).  The pilot service will operate for a period of up to four
years, from 2000-2003.

This effort will be led by Jim Slater from the National Imaging and
Mapping Agency, USA.  With this approval, it is my honor to welcome
Jim as a member of the GB and congratulate him for his efforts in
promoting the transition of this activity from the International
GLONASS Experiment (IGEX) to a GLONASS pilot service. Many people
share responsible for the  successful completion of the IGEX
experiment, and the continuing efforts to provide GLONASS data and
products. Many of these same groups and people will be critical to
the on-going success of a new IGLOS-PP.  This will be a unique
project in that it will also solicit and include SLR observations of
the GLONASS satellites.

On behalf of the IGS I would also like to extend sincere thanks to
Pascal Willis of the IGN, France for his coordination of the IGEX
beginning in 1997.

The next step will be a formal call for participation in the
IGLOS-PP. Jim Slater will be responsible for leading this effort with
the support of the IGLOS Pilot Project Committee.

With best wishes for success in this endeavor,

Chris Reigber
(Chairman IGS GB)

======================================================================

              INTERNATIONAL GLONASS SERVICE - PILOT PROJECT

The International GLONASS Service - Pilot Project (IGLOS-PP) is a
pilot service of the International GPS Service (IGS) to track and
analyze data from the Russian GLONASS satellite constellation.  The
primary products of the service are dual-frequency observations from
the global tracking network and precise orbits computed for each
satellite.  These are made available to support and encourage other
applications and studies.  In particular, the products from the
Service facilitate the use of combined GLONASS and GPS observations
for scientific and engineering applications, and allow users to
experiment with the combined systems as a prototype Global Navigation
Satellite System.  The pilot service will operate for a period of up
to four years, from 2000-2003.

Goals and Objectives

1.  Establish and maintain a global GLONASS tracking network
    a.  Collocate dual-frequency, combined GPS/GLONASS receivers with
        dual-frequency GPS receivers or upgrade existing dual-frequency
        GPS receivers to dual-frequency, combined GPS/GLONASS receivers
at
        existing IGS sites and at new sites
    b.  Apply International GPS Service (IGS) network operations
standards
    c.  Calibrate and evaluate combined GPS/GLONASS receivers and
antennas
2.  Produce precise (10-cm level) orbits, satellite clock estimates,
    and station coordinates
    a.  Evaluate microwave-derived orbits using SLR observations and
        orbits
    b.  Incorporate SLR observations in routine orbit processing
    c.  Obtain initial operational capability of 20-50 cm orbits at
        Analysis Centers
    d.  Receive independent orbit/clock/station solutions from Analysis
        Centers within three weeks of observations
3.  Monitor and assess GLONASS system performance
4.  Investigate the use of GLONASS to improve Earth Orientation
Parameters
5.  Improve atmospheric products of the IGS
6.  Fully integrate GLONASS into IGS products, operations and programs.

Organizational Structure

The Pilot Service will utilize the existing infrastructure of the IGS
as much as possible without disrupting activities supporting GPS data
collection and processing.  It will take advantage of the operational
experience gained from the International GLONASS Experiment (IGEX-98)
carried out in 1998-99.  A Call for Participation will be issued to
enlist the participation of current IGS network stations, analysis
centers, and data centers, as well as to solicit the participation of
new stations and analysis centers.  The IGS Central Bureau will be
asked to affirm acceptance of the increased responsibility resulting
from the inclusion of the pilot service within the IGS.  The pilot
service will include SLR stations, GLONASS stations, and combined
GPS/GLONASS stations that meet IGS network requirements and
additional GLONASS-specific requirements.

An IGLOS Pilot Project Committee is responsible for establishing and
managing the service during the pilot period.  The members are:

Vladimir Glotov, Mission Control Centre, Russian Space Agency
Ramesh Govind, Australian Surveying and Land Information Group
Werner Gurtner, University of Berne, Astronomical Institute, ILRS
Liaison
Arne Jungstand, EC Joint Research Centre, Space Applications Institute,
    and DLR
Angelyn Moore, IGS Central Bureau
Ruth Neilan, IGS Central Bureau, Director (ex officio)
Carey Noll, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Data Center Coordinator
James Slater, National Imagery and Mapping Agency, Chair
Tim Springer, University of Berne, IGS Analysis Center Coordinator (ex
    officio)
Robert Weber, University of Technology, Vienna, GLONASS Analysis
    Center Coordinator
Pascal Willis, Institut Geographique National.

The IGLOS Pilot Project Committee will review and approve proposals
for establishment of new stations, analysis centers and data centers,
taking appropriate actions as necessary.  The description and
responsibilities of these fundamental IGS components are located in
the IGS Terms of Reference at
<http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/organization/bylaws.html>.  Technical
specifications for stations, analysis centers and data centers are
included in the Call for Participation.  The Committee will develop
operational guidelines for incorporating the GLONASS operations into
the IGS.  Liaisons are maintained with the International Laser
Ranging Service, the International Association of Geodesy, and the
GLONASS Coordination Scientific Information Center of the Russian
Federation Ministry of Defense as appropriate.

Schedule for Establishing the Pilot Service and Reviewing the Operations

Mar 2000        Call for Participation
Apr 2000        Review proposals
May 2000        Officially notify participants and prepare for
                operational service
                Begin Pilot Service
Dec 2000        Review and report on Pilot Service operations
Jun 2001        Semi-annual operational assessment of Pilot Service
Dec 2001        Review and report on Pilot Service operations
Jun 2002        Semi-annual operational assessment of Pilot Service
Dec 2002        Review and report on Pilot Service operations
Jun 2003        Semi-annual operational assessment of Pilot Service
Dec 2003        Final review and report on Pilot Service operations
                Terminate Pilot Service
                Recommend follow-on operational service or
discontinuance