Subject: [IGSMAIL-265] JPL Site Catalog
From: Thomas Lockhart
Date: 29 MAY 1993 13:36:56

IGS Electronic Mail       29-MAY-1993 13:36:56       Message Number 265
***********************************************************************

From: Thomas Lockhart
Subj: JPL Site Catalog
----------------------

A Flinn site catalog is now available from JPL and posted at CDDIS. The
catalog is available at:

 JPL   - bodhi:~/gps/doc/site_catalog.txt
 CDDIS - CDDIS::GPS3:[GPSINFO]SITE_CATALOG.TXT

Alternate tabular forms of the information, more suited for input to
software programs, will be available in the near future.

For access to bodhi, contact Dave Starr ([email-masked]).

An exerpt from the catalog introduction is enclosed.

                            - Tom and Alan

=======================================================================
Thomas G. Lockhart                 Telephone:   (818) 354 6102
Alan Hart                          Telephone:   (818) 354 1705
GPS Networks & Operations Group    FAX:         (818) 393 4965
Jet Propulsion Laboratory          Email:       [email-masked]
4800 Oak Grove Dr.
Pasadena, CA 91109
=======================================================================

Excerpt from the introduction to the JPL Flinn site catalog:

The GPS GLOBAL NETWORK SITE CATALOG (Site Catalog) is a computer data  reference
service  designed  and implemented by the GPS Network Operations Group (GNOG) at
the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), Pasadena, California.

This reference service intends to document most of the stations  within  the  GPS
Global Network and is available, via the computer system "BODHI" or from Goddard
Space Flight Center's (GSFC) Crustal Dynamics Data Information Service  (CDDIS),
as  a  reliable  and  current  "on-line"  service  for  the  GPS  Global Network
Community.  The Site Catalog has JPL's commitment to the  highest  standards  of
system reliability and data accuracy.

Presently, certain areas of the Site Catalog are under development, as  some  of
the  information  on  hand  is  incomplete.   For  instance, we have not started
routine analysis for the sites labeled as "Section B: Additional Stations",  due
to the lack of accurate data and information.  Therefore, any relevant inputs of
information from the GPS community will be greatly appreciated.

The Site Catalog currently consists  of  five  units  or  tables  designed  to
completely "document" any particular station(s) or site(s).  A brief description
of each table's application and contents follows below:

     Table I:       STATIONS OF THE GPS GLOBAL TRACKING NETWORK -  contains the  site's
                    full  name,  its  4-character ID, and a brief description of
                    its historical data.

     Table II:      GEODETIC MARKS AND COORDINATES -   lists  the  GPS  monument
                    marker and Geodetic Coordinates for each GPS site.

     Table III:     ITRF  '91  GEOCENTRIC  COORDINATES  -   lists  each  site's
                    Geocentric  Coordinates  as  obtained via ITRF '91 Reference
                    Frame at Epoch 1992.5.  For convenience, we've included site
                    velocities   obtained  from  the  GLB718  VLBI  solution  to
                    allow the GPS coordinates to be propagated forward in time.

     Table IV:      SITE TIES -  displays local site  ties  "TO"  GPS  monuments
                    "FROM"  other  VLBI  or  SLR monuments, where those monument
                    numbers were obtained from the CDP Catalog 1979-1990 (March,
                    1992).  For  those  sites  which  do  not  have  a  monument
                    underneath  the  antenna,  the  GPS  mark   is   listed   as
                    "(antenna)".

     Table V:       SITE RECEIVER/ANTENNAS -  lists  the  receiver  and  antenna
                    name,  the  type  used, the manufacturer, the antenna height
                    (vertical distance from top of the choke ring  down  to  the
                    top of the monument), antenna phase center measurements, and
                    standard  antenna  heights  for  various  models  of   Rogue
                    receivers.

In future editions of  the  Site  Catalog,  additional  information  (e.g.  site
histories)  will  be  included. Currently, the catalog consists only of tracking
stations for which JPL has obtained coordinate solutions.  As development of the
catalog  continues,  other  tracking  stations  will  be  included  (e.g.  those
stations which operate with non-Rogue receivers).

A special word of thanks goes to Claude Boucher and Z. Altamini  (IGS  MAIL  No.
90 and 263) for their substantial input to tables 3 - 5.

                              INFORMATION SOURCES:

Sources of information include the following agencies:
     o       Algonquin Radio Observatory (ARO)
     o       Applied Research Laboratory (University of Texas) (ARL)
     o       Bendix Field Engineering Corporation (BFEC)
     o       Canadian Department of National Defense (CDND)
     o       Centre Nacional d'Etudes Spatiales, France (CNES)
     o       Crustal Dynamics Data Information Service (CDDIS)
     o       Intl Coord of Space Techniques for Geodesy and Geodynamics (CSTG)
     o       Delft University of Technology (Netherlands) (DUT)
     o       Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory (DRAO)
     o       Energy, Mines, and Resources (Geological Survey, Canada) (EMR-GSC)
     o       Energy, Mines, and Resources (Canadian Geodetic Survey) (EMR-CGS)
     o       European Space Agency (ESA)
     o       European Space Operations Center (ESOC)
     o       Finnish Geodetic Institute (FGI)
     o       Geodatisches Forschungs Zentrum (Germany) (GFZ)
     o       Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC)
     o       Institute for Space and Aeronautical Science (Japan) (ISAS)
     o       Institute for Space Research (Austria) (ISR) 
     o       Institute of Earth Science, Academia Sinica (China) (IES)
     o       Institut fur Angewandte Geodasie (Germany) (IfAG)
     o       Institut Geographique National/Statens Kartverk, (France) (IGN-SK)
     o       Instituto de Astronomia y Geodesia (Spain)
     o       International GPS Geodynamics Service (IGS)
     o       Italian Space Agency (ISA)
     o       Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)
     o       NASA/JPL Deep Space Network (DSN)
     o       National Aeronautics Space Administration (NASA)
     o       National Geodetic Survey (NGS)
     o       National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
     o       National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO)
     o       Norwegian Mapping Authority (NMA)
     o       Onsala Space Observatory (OSO)
     o       Pacific Geoscience Center (PGC)
     o       Royal Greenwich Observatory (RGO)
     o       Scripps Institute of Oceanography (SIO)
     o       United States Naval Observatory (USNO)

=======================================================================