Subject: [IGSMAIL-2569] Call for Papers
From: Dennis D. McCarthy
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 11:15:03 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Fri Nov  5 11:15:03 PST 1999      Message Number 2569
******************************************************************************

Author: Dennis D. McCarthy
Subject: Call for Papers

Subject: Call for Papers

CALL FOR PAPERS
******************************************************************
EUROPEAN GEOPHYSICAL SOCIETY
25th GENERAL ASSEMBLY
NICE, FRANCE,  24 - 29 APRIL 2000

EGS / AGU SYMPOSIUM G10:
New aspects of modelling and monitoring Earth rotation (joint EGS/AGU)
Coordinating Conveners: D.D. McCarthy, B. Kolaczek
G10/01.  Monitoring and analyses
Conveners: H. Schuh, R. Gross
G10/02. Modelling
Conveners:  V. Dehant, B. Chao

Dear Colleague,

We would like to inform (or remind) you that the Symposium G10: "New 
aspects of modelling and monitoring Earth rotation" will be held during the 
25th General Assembly of the European Geophysical Society in Nice, France, 
24 - 29 April 2000. 

As the Conveners of this symposium we ask you to submit abstracts before 
the deadline of 15 December 1999.
(Note that this deadline is durring the Fall AGU Meeting)

The topics of the Symposium G10 are summarized as follows:

Sub-symposium G10/01: Monitoring and analyses (H. Schuh, R. Gross)
In the last two decades a rapid progress in the observation of the Earth 
orientation parameters has been made by the using modern space geodetic 
techniques such as VLBI, SLR/LLR and GPS. There remains potential for 
further improvements with respect to precision, time resolution and 
measurement in near real-time. Furthermore, new observation techniques of 
Earth rotation components are on the horizon, e.g. laser gyrometers, atom 
interferometers and super fluid helium gyros. For the analyses of EOP time 
series new methods have been applied successfully that allow a time 
localization of irregular quasi-periodic fluctuations. The comparison with 
time series of excitation functions (AAM, OAM,  ...) is possible now in the 
time and frequency domains. The Combination of the results obtained by 
different observing techniques including time series of the historical 
observations is becoming increasingly more important task. The 
investigation and removal of systematic differences among the techniques is 
necessary and the question of relative weights has to be solved. 
Contributions are solicited that address these and other aspects of 
monitoring and analyzing the rotation of the Earth.

Sub-symposium G10/02: Modelling (V. Dehant, B. Chao) 
This symposium is devoted to modelling of the Earth rotation and in 
particular the study of the influences of geophysical fluids on Earth 
rotation rate, length-of-day, polar motion, and nutation.  These Fluids are 
(1) the atmosphere, (2) the ocean, (3) the ocean tides, (4) the fluid core, 
(5) the mantle, and (6) hydrology. Their influence on the Earth's rotation 
parameters is through the masses and the mass transport occurring in the 
fluid parts. The influences on the solid Earth can be computed by computing 
the angular momentum exchange with the fluid part or by computing the 
torques acting on the solid Earth. These influences can act at all time 
scales from diurnal and sub-diurnal to long period, seasonal and even 
decadal time scales. The dynamics in the fluid parts is important in the 
frame of this computation.  The symposium is dedicated to all these 
aspects.

Further information on the compilation and submission of the abstracts, 
invitation letters (if required), forms for pre-registration and hotel 
reservation, application forms for support awards, guidelines for your 
presentation, etc., are given in the web page of EGS under the address:

 http://www.copernicus.org/EGS/EGS.html

The abstracts should be sent either electronically or as a hard copy to the 
EGS office and the conveners of the Sub-symposia. In the second case please 
send the original abstract directly to the EGS office and with a copy to 
the conveners at the addresses indicated below. Also, please inform any 
colleagues that might be interested and missing from our mailing list.

We are looking forward to seeing you in Nice!

Yours sincerely,

Barbara Kolaczek, Denis D. McCarthy, Harald Schuh, Richard Gross, Veronique 
Dehant, Benjamin Fong Chao.

Addresses of the Convenors of the Sub-symposia to whom you should send your 
abstracts:

Dr.-Ing. Harald Schuh
DGFI, Marstallplatz  8
D-80539 Muenchen, Germany
Phone: +49 89 23031214
Fax:   +49 89 23031240
e-mail:  [email-masked]
              [email-masked]

Dr. Richard Gross
Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)
M/S 238-332
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena,
California 91109, USA
Phone: +1 818 3544010
Fax:   +1 818 3936890
e-mail:  [email-masked]

Veronique Dehant
Royal Observatory of Belgium *
Observatoire Royal de Belgique *
3, avenue Circulaire B-1180 Bruxelles, Belgium
Tel: 32-2-3730266
GSM: 32-75-575953
Fax: 32-2-3749822
e-mail: [email-masked]

Dr. Benjamin Fong Chao
Space Geodesy Branch, Code 926
NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center
Greenbelt, Maryland 20771, USA
Phone:  +1 301 6146104
Fax:    +1 301 6146099
e-mail:  [email-masked]
******************************************************************

--
Dennis D. McCarthy                       [email-masked]
Director, Directorate of Time            phone: (202) 762-1837
U.S. Naval Observatory                   fax: (202) 762-1563
Washington, DC 20392-5420

[Mailed From: Dennis McCarthy <[email-masked]>]