Subject: [IGSMAIL-2568] NTUS (Singapore) back on-line
From: Boudewijn Ambrosius & Dany van Loon (DEOS/TUD)
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 7:34:39 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Fri Nov  5  7:34:39 PST 1999      Message Number 2568
******************************************************************************

Author: Boudewijn Ambrosius & Dany van Loon (DEOS/TUD)
Subject: NTUS (Singapore) back on-line

After a hiatus of about 2 months, station NTUS (Singapore) is back
on-line again. The original intention was to repair and upgrade the
existing SNR-8000 receiver to an ACT version, but this proved impossible
because the architecture of this machine was too old.

Therefore, it has been replaced by an SNR-12 receiver upgraded to ACT
technology. In fact this is the old IGS KOSG (Kootwijk) system, S/N 229,
which has been repaired and upgraded. The original antenna, S/N 222, at
Singapore has been retained, so the site location remains unchanged.

Analysis of test data, which have been received since day 301, show a
dramatic improvement in performance. The loss of L2 data, which was
extremely severe for this equatorial station with the old receiver, seems
to have completely disappeared, or at least to have been reduced to
a negligible level. Also, the change from 8 to 12 channels has further
improved the data yield. Therefore, station NTUS, with its strategic location 
in South-East Asia, is now in a much better position to continue and
expand its role as an important reference point in the global IGS network.

The backlog of data since day 301 (with the exception of days 304 and 305,
which were lost due to problems with the local controll PC) have been
submitted to IGS through the usual channels. Starting with day 309,
daily submissions will resume. An updated site log will be posted today
via the automated site log submission system of the IGS central bureau.

Boudewijn Ambrosius

[Mailed From: Boudewijn Ambrosius <[email-masked]>]