Subject: [IGSMAIL-2411] General Earthquake Models Fall AGU special session
From: Andrea Donnellan
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:59:24 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Wed Aug 11 16:59:24 PDT 1999      Message Number 2411
******************************************************************************

Author: Andrea Donnellan
Subject: General Earthquake Models Fall AGU special session

We'd like to draw your attention to a Fall AGU special session on general 
earthquake models.

Session Description:

T-l   General Earthquake Models
(Joint with S, G; NG)

General Earthquake Models (GEM) represent an emerging new field of
geophysical research focused on the behavior of fault systems. It is
enabled by the fusion of new ideas about the physics of earthquakes and
complex high-dimensional, multi-scale nonlinear systems; modern
computational hardware, software and algorithms; evolving information
technology, and digital communications infrastructure; and the rapidly
growing quantity and quality of new data types, originating from GPS and
broadband seismic networks, as well as Interferometric SAR. For this
session, papers are solicited that examine problems and scientific
questions related to understanding earthquakes through the synthesis of
models, computation, and data. We anticipate papers that address theory,
results and algorithms for computational models of the earthquake source,
both on isolated faults and fault systems; computational methods based 
upon
new paradigms of web object systems and fast computational algorithms; and
model calibration and validation issues that can be resolved through the
innovative use of modern geophysical data.

Convenors:
Andrea Donnellan, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Mail Stop 238-600, 4800 Oak
Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109; Tel: +1-818-354-4737;  E-mail:
[email-masked];

John Rundle, Colorado Center for Chaos & Complexity, University of
Colorado, Boulder, CO, 80309; Tel: +1-303-492-5642; Fax: +1-303-492-5070;
E-mail:  [email-masked];

J. Bernard Minster, Scripps Institution of Oceanography/IGPP, UCSD, La
Jolla CA, 92093-0225; Tel: +1-619-534-5650; Fax: +1-619-534-2902; E-mail:
[email-masked]

Abstracts are due into AGU on September 2, or via their web submission on 
September 9.  The meeting is December 13-17, 1999.  The web page can be 
found at http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm99top.html.

Regarding invited papers, AGU policy states:

    For the 1999 Fall Meeting, a person as first author may submit
    one contributed paper and one invited papers approved by a
    Program Committee member for inclusion in the program.  If a
    person accepts an invitation to be the first author on a second
    invited paper, this person must forego the first author
    contributed paper.  Acceptance of any additional papers by the
    same first author requires a joint request from a convenor and
    Program Committee member to the Chairman of the Fall Program
    Committe, Robert Duce, for approval.

Sincerely yours,

Andrea Donnellan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrea Donnellan
Satellite Geodesy and Geodynamics Systems Group
Mail Stop 238-600
Jet Propulsion Laboratory          Phone:  818-354-4737
4800 Oak Grove Drive               Fax:    818-393-4965
Pasadena, CA  91109-8099           e-mail:  [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

[Mailed From: Andrea Donnellan <[email-masked]>]