Subject: [IGSMAIL-2409] AGU Special Session - Gravity Field Modelling
From: Michael M. Watkins
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:06:49 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Tue Aug 10 16:06:49 PDT 1999      Message Number 2409
******************************************************************************

Author: Michael M. Watkins
Subject: AGU Special Session - Gravity Field Modelling

Colleagues - we call your attention to the following Fall AGU special session:

G05:  Gravity Field Observations and Models

Conveners:

Michael Watkins,
Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), M/S 238-600,
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109,
Office 818-354-7514, Fax 818-393-4965,
E-mail [email-masked],

Christoph Reigber,
GeoforschungsZentrum (GFZ),
Dept. of Kinematics and Dynamics of the Earth,
Telegrafenberg A17,  Potsdam, 14473, Germany,
Office 49-331-288-1100, Fax 49-331-288-1111,
E-mail [email-masked]

Session Description:
The CHAMP and GRACE Missions, launching in 2000 and 2001, respectively,
will enable significant improvements in global gravity field models.  The
precision of the measurements from these missions places unprecedented
requirements on the dynamic, measurement, and even computational models
used in the gravity field determination.  In some cases, innovative
representations other than the conventional coefficients of a spherical
harmonic expansion may be preferable.  Stringent requirements are also
placed on ancillary models used to determine or interpret the gravity
models including ocean tides, atmospheric pressure, barotropic ocean
signals, and others.  Finally, full exploitation of the gravity data
benefits from combination with other data types, including laser/radar
altimetry, vertical rebound measurements, and more.  In this session, we
invite contributions on the general topic of gravity modelling, with
emphasis in the following areas:

1) on the status and capabilities of future gravity missions
2) on the current state, plans, and/or techniques for high precision
gravity model determination and representation, including treatment of
ancillary geophysical fields
3) on techniques for combining gravity with other data types for improved
interpretive science.

[Mailed From: "Michael M. Watkins" <[email-masked]>]