Subject: [IGSMAIL-2399] Preliminary Test at ESA stations for Eclipse Observations
From: Ignacio Romero
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 0:45:10 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Wed Aug  4  0:45:10 PDT 1999      Message Number 2399
******************************************************************************

Author: Ignacio Romero
Subject: Preliminary Test at ESA stations for Eclipse Observations

Subject: Preliminary Test at ESA stations for Eclipse Observations

Dear IGS members,

Here at ESA we have been testing our european receivers (KIRU and VILL) in
advance of the solar eclipse of 11th August.  The recommendation came from
J Feltens (IGSMail Nos. 2312, 2377) to try to obtain 1sec observations from
stations close to the eclipse path.

We at ESA have TurboRogue SNR-8100 at KIRU and VILL which in previous tests
have proven incapable of providing reliable 1sec data transmission using a
data flash card and a PC to download the data hourly.  The system misses
complete hours or downloads incomplete files.  Therefore after
conversations with J. Feltens we have decided to provide 3 sec data for the
day of the eclipse so as to minimize the chances of disruption to our
normal 30 sec IGS observations.  3 sec is not as good as 1 sec data for the
ionosphere analysis, but we have decided its much better than possibly
nothing!

We have now tested the 3 sec sampling rate for observations over two days
and can confirm that this will work fine.  We wanted the IGS members who
are going to change the sampling rate of their receivers for the eclipse to
be aware of this.

For any questions regarding the eclipse observations, etc, please contact J
Feltens at:  [email-masked]

Best Regards,

I. Romero
IGS Team at ESOC

[Mailed From: ESA]