Subject: [IGSMAIL-2396] EOP session at Fall AGU Meeting
From: J. Ray & T. Springer
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:40:27 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Mon Aug  2 10:40:27 PDT 1999      Message Number 2396
******************************************************************************

Author: J. Ray & T. Springer
Subject: EOP session at Fall AGU Meeting

You are encouraged to consider submitting a paper for the special Geodesy
session G06 "Earth Orientation Observations and Models" to be held during
during the Fall 1999 AGU Meeting.

The one-day precision of Earth orientation determinations is now about
the 0.1 milliarcseconds level (3 mm of equatorial rotation on the Earth's
surface).  The accuracy attainable is less clear, although differences
among independent techniques appear significantly larger.  These
differences present fundamental problems for inter-technique combination
efforts and limit the ultimate accuracy that can be realized with global
inertial reference systems.  New methods are being developed to combine
Earth orientation and terrestrial reference frame information jointly,
which may reduce inter-technique differences and help resolve error
sources.  The approaches include combinations at the covariance matrix
level (the SINEX format being the accepted exchange standard) as well as
combinations at the observation level.  Contributions are sought to
illuminate the issues and methods being applied, and to present new
results in these areas.  In addition, studies into improved prediction
methods, especially for high-accuracy real-time applications, are requested.
Papers on other aspects of the techniques used to measure Earth orientation
and to analyze data are also welcomed.  Interpretative analyses of
geodynamical excitations should be submitted to special session G02.

The Fall Meeting will be held in San Francisco, California, 13-17 December
1999.  For information about the meeting and submission of abstracts,
please refer to http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm99top.html.  Note that
abstracts MUST be received at AGU headquarters by Thursday, 02 September
1999 if submitted by express/postal mail or by e-mail or by Thursday,
09 September 1999 if submitted using the AGU interactive WWW form.

convenors: J. Ray (USNO; [email-masked])
           T. Springer (U. Berne; [email-masked])

[Mailed From: Jim Ray (USNO 202-762-1444) <[email-masked]>]