Subject: [IGSMAIL-2376] KOSG firmware and more...
From: Boudewijn Ambrosius (DEOS/DUT), Hans van der Marel (AGRS)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:27:46 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Thu Jul 15 17:27:46 PDT 1999      Message Number 2376
******************************************************************************

Author: Boudewijn Ambrosius (DEOS/DUT), Hans van der Marel (AGRS)
Subject: KOSG firmware and more...

Please note that the site log for station KOSG (Kootwijk, Netherlands) has
been updated to reflect the recent receiver firmware upgrade to version
3.2.32.9.  The new version was installed on July 14, 1999 at 07:10UT.

Another change is the introduction of a special radome type code,
to identify the particular radome design that is currently used at all 
permanent stations in the Netherlands. We have decided to name it
DUTD (Delft University of Technology Design), because that is where
the design (by Danny van Loon) originated in 1991. It was probably one
of the earliest radomes designed for the chocke-ring antenna and it 
has provided good protection for KOSG since the start of permanent 
in 1991. For some time, it has also been used in the Swedish network,
but there it has been phased out and replaced by a newer version (OSOD).
Although it may not be an optimal design according to the current standards,
we prefer to keep it in place at KOSG for the time being, in order not
to cause discontinuities in the long, stable time-series of operations.
Since the DUTD type does not yet appear in the recvr-ant.tbl we propose
to include it asap.

Finally, it seems that the rubidium clock at KOSG has failed on day 180.
Due to various circumstances this problem went unnoticed until recently.
Apparently the receiver has been operating from its clock in free drift
mode since then. Since the clock drift is quite high, we changed to
clock steering mode on day 195, at the same time the new firmware was
installed. The rubidium clock will be reconnected asap.

Boudewijn and Hans

[Mailed From: Boudewijn Ambrosius <[email-masked]>]