Subject: [IGSMAIL-2356] 286 GNSS FREQUENCY SPECTRUM PROTECTION
From: George Preiss and Michael Swiek
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 16:33:38 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Tue Jul  6 16:33:38 PDT 1999      Message Number 2356
******************************************************************************

Author: George Preiss and Michael Swiek
Subject: 286 GNSS FREQUENCY SPECTRUM PROTECTION

Subject: GNSS Frequency Spectrum Protection

PROTECTING THE GNSS RADIO FREQUENCY SPECTRUM

** THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR ALL SATELLITE NAVIGATION USERS **
** PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND REPLY AS REQUESTED **

** PLEASE FORWARD TO YOUR COLLEAGUES. TIME IS SHORT !! **

At the 1997 World Radio Conference (WRC-1997), the US narrowly blocked a
proposal to allow mobile satellite communications services (MSS) to use a=

portion of the radio navigation spectrum close to the GPS L1 frequency
band. If approved, the proposal would have allowed use of the band by
mobile satellite communications services hand sets (Iridium, Globalstar,
etc.) without any testing to determine whether harmful interference with
GPS or other satellite navigation services would have resulted. =

Instead of being dismissed, a vote on the issue of spectrum sharing in th=
e
radio navigation band was postponed until WRC-2000 so that further study =
of
the feasibility of sharing could be done. WRC-2000 is scheduled to take
place in Turkey in April/May 2000.

This is a crucial issue for the global satellite navigation community.

Since WRC-1997 the concept of MSS sharing radio navigation spectrum has
further evolved to include:
=B7 The initial proposal for spectrum sharing at the lower end of the ban=
d;
=B7 Proposals to allow segmentation of the radio navigation frequency ban=
d;
=B7 The threat of out-of band emissions that would interfere with the upp=
er
end of the radio navigation spectrum.

These proposals establish a dangerous precedent that could undermine the
capabilities, utility, and future growth of Global Navigation Satellite
Systems (GNSS) such as GALILEO, GPS and GLONASS.

Extensive studies have been conducted since WRC-1997 indicating that
spectrum sharing or segmentation with MSS providers is not feasible witho=
ut
seriously undermining the effectiveness of GNSS in performing critical
safety-of-life applications. Further, these studies have demonstrated tha=
t
the proposed spectrum sharing will restrict the development of future
satellite navigation systems and their augmentations, and that the
commercial and economic benefits offered by these systems will be
undermined. Indeed, it has been clearly shown that potentially harmful
interference will result from sharing the GPS L1 frequency band with mobi=
le
satellite communication services. =

Simply stated, if such interference is authorised, GNSS signals will beco=
me
unreliable, satellite navigation applications will become unreliable, and=

the establishment and growth of GNSS businesses may be called seriously
into question.

Preserving and protecting the radio-navigation frequency spectrum bands
from such potentially harmful interference has now become probably the mo=
st
important issue facing the global GNSS community.

It is clear that such spectrum sharing proposals involving potential harm=

to safety of life systems can only have been presented in situations and =
by
authorities where the understanding of the implications has been
incomplete. It is especially clear that there is imperfect comprehension =
of
the fact that at least the most common GNSS system currently available (t=
he
US NAVSTAR GPS) employs spread spectrum transmission. It is therefore
concluded that an information campaign is now essential to ensure that th=
e
consequences are made clear to delegates to WRC-2000.

A well-attended seminar on this subject was successfully held in Japan
earlier in 1999, aimed at Japanese government and industry leaders. The
seminar was arranged and hosted primarily by the Japan GPS Council (JGPSC=
)
with the support of the US GPS Industry Council (USGIC). The Japanese
aviation and automotive user communities made presentations, with respons=
es
from a US delegation led by Ambassador Mary Beth West of the US Departmen=
t
of State and comprising senior US official and industrial representatives=
.

In Europe, attempts to focus attention on this issue have met with limite=
d
success. Major conference plans are nowadays made so far in advance that
they are often unresponsive to changes in circumstances and to emerging
needs for urgently disseminating important information. It is therefore
concluded that a special event is necessary in order to bring this matter=

to the attention, specifically, of the European national representatives =
to
WRC-2000. =

Strong support from the European GNSS user communities will help to attra=
ct
the attention of the WRC-2000 delegations with whom the GNSS user
communities otherwise have perhaps little contact. Although time is now
becoming short, there is every indication that such an event would be
strongly supported by a senior US delegation, as in Japan. Indeed, it is
not impossible that a Japanese delegation could also support such an even=
t.

This Navigation Satellite Information Service (NAVSAT Info) has been in
close contact with the USGIC on this subject during recent months. NAVSAT=

Info and the USGIC have therefore jointly determined to distribute this
message as widely as possible within Europe in order to determine the lev=
el
of support that can be expected for arranging one (or even more) suitable=

event(s) in advance of WRC-2000. =

This message is also being distributed directly to the European Delegates=

who attended WRC-1997.

The specific question is:

"WILL YOU ATTEND A SEMINAR ON GNSS FREQUENCY PROTECTION TO BE HELD
SOMEWHERE IN EUROPE AND MOST PROBABLY IN THE LAST THREE MONTHS OF 1999 OR=

THE FIRST THREE MONTHS OF 2000? (PLEASE INDICATE YOUR PREFERENCES)"

Replies are requested speedily by electronic mail, facsimile or post to
either of the addresses given below. Additional comment, correspondence o=
r
hosting/funding offers will be welcomed.

Finally, we apologise for your inconvenience if you have already received=

this message by other means.

Yours sincerely,

NAVIGATION SATELLITE INFORMATION SERVICE

George Preiss
[email-masked]

UNITED STATES GPS INDUSTRY COUNCIL

Michael Swiek =

[email-masked]

CONTACT ADDRESSES:

George Preiss
Navigation Satellite Information Service
Eikliveien 35
NO-3511 H=D8NEFOSS
Norway

Tel: +47-3211 8232 (office)
Tel: +47-3212 6966 (home)
Fax: +47-3212 6966
E-Mail: [email-masked]

F. Michael Swiek
Executive Director
United States GPS Industry Council
Suite 855
1655 North Fort Myer Drive
Arlington, VA-22209
USA

Tel.: +1-703 807 0704
Fax: +1-703 807 0740
E-Mail: [email-masked]

[Mailed From: Wojciech Preiss <[email-masked]>]