Subject: [IGSMAIL-2308] Autonomous Systems in Extreme Environments Workshop
From: Andrea Donnellan
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:27:10 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Mon Jun 14 15:27:10 PDT 1999      Message Number 2308
******************************************************************************

Author: Andrea Donnellan
Subject: Autonomous Systems in Extreme Environments Workshop

****************************************
********* SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT **********
****************************************

AUTONOMOUS SYSTEMS IN EXTREME ENVIRONMENTS WORKSHOP 

AUGUST 31 - SEPTEMBER 2, 1999

JET PROPULSION LABORATORY
PASADENA, CALIFORNIA

Conveners:
Andrea Donnellan - Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Bruce Luyendyk - University of California, Santa Barbara
Sridhar Anandakrishnan - University of Alabama

********** REGISTRATION INFORMATION ****************

REGISTRATION INFORMATION AND FORM AVAILABLE AT:
      http://geodynamics.jpl.nasa.gov/workshop

ABSTRACT AND PRE-REGISTRATION DEADLINE:  JULY 30, 1999

REGISTRATION FEE:  $80 BEFORE JULY 30, $120 AFTER JULY 30

HOTEL RESERVATION DEADLINE AUGUST 9TH (SEE REGISTRATION FORM)

*****************************************************

Antarctica and the Arctic are expensive and difficult places to do 
research because of their remote-nature and harsh environmental 
conditions. They are the most isolated places on Earth and also 
experience the most extreme weather conditions. Scientists are constantly 
looking for ways to accomplish research goals at the lowest possible cost 
and still maintain a high level of scientific value. In 1996, the 
Committee on Fundamental Science of the National Science and Technology 
Council (NSTC) recommended that cost savings for the U.S. Antarctic 
Programs could be achieved by reducing requirement for on-site supporting 
staff by developing autonomous data gathering systems utilizing advanced 
computers and micro-electronics and emerging satellite capabilities.

Numerous investigators are conducting experiments in polar or other 
extreme environments that require the use of autonomous systems and the 
number of autonomous systems is expected to increase. While these systems 
may vary in size and power requirements, they have similar problems that 
must be overcome in order for them to function properly. These problems 
include, but are not limited to, issues related to power, thermal 
environment, data storage, communications, and packaging. A workshop is 
scheduled for August 31 - September 2, 1999 at the Jet Propulsion 
Laboratory in Pasadena, California to discuss these issues.

The goals of the workshop are to:

1.	Promote dialogue between scientists and engineers on autonomous system 
   design.
2.	Make recommendations on power, thermal, data, communications, and 
   packaging systems.
3.	Discuss whether standardization is recommended for future systems.
4.	Discuss and recommend whether design and testing criteria should be 
   met before systems are deployed in polar regions.

Scientists, engineers, and industry partners are invited to participate 
in the workshop. The meeting will begin with keynote speakers followed by 
talks and discussion in a variety of topics. Each session will begin with 
a talk by an expert within that field. Attendees are invited to speak in 
any of the sessions, including the general session on experience gained 
and lessons learned. The last day will be devoted to breakout groups that 
will formulate recommendations on overall systems design or certain 
aspects of autonomous systems. 

Proceedings and recommendations of the workshop will be published via the 
web.

More information can be found at http://geodynamics.jpl.nasa.gov/workshop
Directions to JPL can be found at 
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/tours/routes.html

If there is someone you would like added to the e-mail distribution list, 
or if you would like to be removed from the list please contact me at 
[email-masked]

Sincerely yours,

Andrea Donnellan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrea Donnellan
Satellite Geodesy and Geodynamics Systems Group
Mail Stop 238-600
Jet Propulsion Laboratory          Phone:  818-354-4737
4800 Oak Grove Drive               Fax:    818-393-4965
Pasadena, CA  91109-8099           e-mail:  [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

[Mailed From: Andrea Donnellan <[email-masked]>]