Subject: [IGSMAIL-2283] GEM initiative
From: Ken Hurst
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 13:22:52 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Thu May 27 13:22:52 PDT 1999      Message Number 2283
******************************************************************************

Author: Ken Hurst
Subject: GEM initiative

Dear Colleague:

We are writing to ask for your help and participation in a new
General Earthquake Model effort (GEM).

Please pardon me if you receive this message more than once as
we have sent it to several mail lists which have overlapping 
membership in an effort to get a wide distribution. 

With some encouragement from NSF and NASA, a group of us have recently
started getting together to discuss modeling efforts aimed at
understanding the earthquake cycle.  Descriptions of the meetings so
far, a white paper, and other information can be found at
	http://milhouse.jpl.nasa.gov/gem
and will soon be moved to
	http://geodynamics.jpl.nasa.gov/gem

A central thrust of the GEM effort will be to create an 
environment in which an investigator can match data, model 
capabilities, and CPUs with minimal effort.

As a first step we are going to survey the earth science community
to find out what various codes and models are out there.
The information from this survey will be included in the 
above website, and may be used by John Rundle in constructing
an AGU monograph on the Physics of Earthquakes.

We would welcome your participation. If you have some code
which may be useful to the effort, please answer the questions
below.  If you do not at present have any code, but would 
like to be kept informed of future activities, please just 
answer the first question.

Please reply to the email address below.

Ken Hurst
[email-masked]
On behalf of the "codes" GEM committee

=======

Would you like to receive information via 
	email about future GEM activities (y/n):

Name of program:

Type of program (eg quake model, mesh generator, strain calculator, visualizer, etc): 

Author:

Institution:

Program's heritage (ie name and author of predecessor code if any):

Actively being further developed (y/n):

Language:

2d (y/n):
3d (y/n):
Elastic full space (y/n):
Elastic half space (y/n):
Layered elastic (y/n):
Viscoelastic half space (y/n):
Layered viscoelastic (y/n):
Maximum number of faults:
Forward model (y/n):
Inversion capability (y/n):
	Type of inversion:
Finite element ability (y/n):
	Boundary constraints:
	Automatic mesh generation:
Includes self gravitation (y/n):
Quasi-static failure criteria (y/n):
User defined failure criteria (y/n):
	Hardwired failure criteria (eg Coulomb):
Dynamic solution (y/n):
   Includes waves (y/n):
	Highest resolved frequency:
   Includes inertia (y/n):
Are there accompanying utilities (y/n):

Is it one main program or several programs that 
  communicate via scripts, files, and pipes?

	If it is several programs, please give a 1 line description 
	   of the major players.	

Input format description:

Output format description:

Is this code available to interested researchers (y/n):
    Executable available (y/n):
	Type of machine:
    Source available (y/n):

Please describe what you consider to be the important features of 
this code in a paragraph or two.

References describing the algorithms or results from use:

Please return this to

Ken Hurst				
Mail Stop 238-600			voice: 818-354-6637
Jet Propulsion Lab / Caltech		FAX:   818-393-4965
Pasadena, CA 91109			[email-masked]

[Mailed From: "Kenneth J. Hurst" <[email-masked]>]