Subject: [IGSMAIL-2273] REMINDER -- Call for Papers for IGEX-98 Workshop
From: Carey Noll/CDDIS and James Slater/NIMA
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 8:56:53 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Fri May 21  8:56:53 PDT 1999      Message Number 2273
******************************************************************************

Author: Carey Noll/CDDIS and James Slater/NIMA
Subject: REMINDER -- Call for Papers for IGEX-98 Workshop

Subject: REMINDER -- Call for Papers for IGEX-98 Workshop

*** Please forgive receipt of multiple copies of this email ***

This is a reminder that abstracts are due TODAY, May 21, 1999, for the
IGEX-98 Workshop, to be held in Nashville, TN on September 13-14, 1999.  
We have received quite a few abstracts but encourage participation in this
workshop.  We are interested in abstracts in any of the areas listed in the
second circular below but we would like to see more papers presented in the
following topics: Receiver Technology, Time and Time Transfer, Geodetic
Positioning, and Atmospheric and Ionospheric Studies.  The organizing
committee thanks those who have already submitted abstracts and strongly
encourages other interested parties to do so as soon as possible so that 
the workshop program can be completed.  

The registration and abstract submittal form can be found at the URL
http://cddisa.gsfc.nasa.gov/igex/igexws_register.html; alternatively, 
abstracts can be faxed to Carey Noll at 301-614-5970.  Questions can be
directed to the organizing committee listed in the second circular
(included below). 

Regards,
Carey Noll and Jim Slater
================================================================================
Second Circular
Call for Papers

INTERNATIONAL GLONASS EXPERIMENT (IGEX-98) WORKSHOP
September 13-14, 1999
Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A.

OVERVIEW

The first coordinated international campaign to collect and analyze GLONASS
satellite data began on October 19, 1998 and is scheduled to terminate on
April 19, 1999.  This International GLONASS Experiment (IGEX-98) was
jointly sponsored by the International Association of Geodesy's (IAG)
Commission VIII for the International Coordination of Space Techniques for
Geodesy and Geodynamics (CSTG), the Institute of Navigation's (ION)
GLONASS-GPS Interoperability Working Group, the International GPS Service
(IGS), and the International Earth Rotation Service (IERS).  The IGEX-98
Steering Committee, the ION and the IGS are organizing a joint workshop on
September 13-14, 1999 to discuss the results of IGEX-98 and possible plans
for the future.  This workshop will be held in conjunction with the ION
Satellite Division's 12th International Technical Meeting GPS-99 in
Nashville, Tennessee (U.S.). 

The IGEX workshop will be run as a separate event prior to the GPS-99
conference.  It will be held in the Nashville Convention Center, and will
be the forum for this year's meeting of the ION GLONASS-GPS
Interoperability Working Group (GGIWG).  A separate registration fee will
be required for all attendees of the workshop as indicated below. 
(Workshop attendees who also wish to attend ION's GPS-99 Technical Meeting
after the workshop ends will be required to pay the standard conference
registration fee.) 

The workshop will be an opportunity for participants to present and compare
their findings, observations, and analyses resulting from the IGEX
campaign.  It will be a time to assess whether or not the objectives of the
experiment were met and to discuss future plans for using and supporting
GLONASS. 

Anyone is welcome to attend and participate. 

PRELIMINARY AGENDA 

The workshop sessions will be held between the hours of 8:30 am and 5:00 pm
each day, with registration beginning at 8:00 am. 

***Monday, September 13, 1999***

INTRODUCTION AND OVERVIEW, Chair: James Slater (NIMA)
     Overview of IGEX Campaign
     GLONASS Status, Performance and Plans
RECEIVER TECHNOLOGY, Chair: Ruth Neilan (JPL)
     Software and Hardware Developments, Performance Analysis
NETWORK OPERATIONS, Chair: Werner Gurtner (Astro. Inst.Univ. of Bern)
     Data Collection, Data Communications, Data Archiving, Formats,
     Preprocessing
PANEL DISCUSSION -- Technology Issues, Station and Network Operations
     Issues Chairs: Werner Gurtner and Ruth Neilan 

EVENING RECEPTION

***Tuesday, September 14, 1999***

INTRODUCTION, Chair: Carey Noll (NASA GSFC)
ORBIT DETERMINATION, Chair: Robert Weber (Technical Univ. of Vienna)
     Precise Orbit Computations, SLR Observations, Methodology
TIME AND TIME TRANSFER, Chair: Wlodzimierz Lewandowski (BIPM)
APPLICATIONS, Chair: TBD
     Reference Frames and Datum Transformations
     Geodetic Positioning
     Atmospheric and Ionospheric Studies
GENERAL DISCUSSION -- GLONASS-GPS Interoperability Issues
     Chair: Pratap Misra (M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratories)
PANEL DISCUSSION - Future Plans (IGS, Manufacturers, Navigation Users,
     Scientific Community), Chairs: Gerhard Beutler (Astro. Inst. Univ. 
     of Bern) and Pascal Willis (IGN)
SUMMARY

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION

Abstracts are requested for oral and poster presentations.  Abstracts must
be in English and must not exceed one page.  The deadline for submission of
abstracts is May 21, 1999.  Authors will be notified by June 21 about the
acceptance of their abstracts and whether they will be oral or poster
papers. 

All abstracts should be submitted electronically by connecting to one of
the web sites referenced below and completing the online form.  If you do
not have access to the Internet, you may fax your abstract to Carey Noll at
301-614-5970 (U.S.A.).  Submissions should include names and affiliations
of all authors, and contact information for the responsible author
including mailing address, phone and fax numbers and e-mail address. 

Final manuscripts for all papers including poster paper summaries are
requested by September 30, 1999 to facilitate publication in the workshop
proceedings. Instructions for submission of papers will be available on the
web sites shown below. 

PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS

Pre-registration is requested for all people planning to attend the
workshop.  A registration fee of $75.00 payable at the workshop will be
required from each person attending.  The pre-registration deadline is
August 28, 1999.  The pre-registration form can be found at the web sites
listed below. 

Abstract submission and pre-registration can be done at the following web
sites: 

IGN IGEX Web site     http://lareg.ensg.ign.fr/IGEX
ION IGEX Web site     http://www.ion.org/workgroup.html

GENERAL INFORMATION

Nashville is known as Music City, U.S.A.  It is the home of countless
musicians and songwriters, the Grand Ole Opry and the Country Music Hall of
Fame. Bluegrass, jazz and other styles of music can also be found in
Nashville.  Other attractions include Belle Meade Plantation (a
19(superscript: th) century Greek revival mansion), The Hermitage (home of
Andrew Jackson, seventh President of the U.S.), The Parthenon (full-scale
reproduction of Greek temple), Van Vechten Art Gallery at Fisk University,
and riverboat rides. 

A few of the hotels in the vicinity of the Convention Center are listed
below. In order to obtain the conference rates for the hotels, you must
inform the hotel that you are attending the Institute of Navigation
meeting. 

Renaissance (Headquarters Hotel, adjacent to the Convention Center): Phone
     615-255-8400; $116 single/double per night, $136 club level per night
Crowne Plaza: Phone 615-259-2000; $111 single/double per night
Doubletree Hotel: Phone 615-244-8200; $99 single per night, $109 double per
     night 
Union Station Hotel: Phone 615-726-1001; $111 single per night, $131 double
     per night 
ClubHouse Inn: Phone 615-244-0150

Specific information about the workshop including the meeting circulars,
program details and registration procedures will be available on the ION
GGIWG web site under the IGEX heading at http://www.ion.org/workgroup.html
and also at the IGN IGEX web site http://lareg.ensg.ign.fr/IGEX.
Information about registering for the ION Satellite Division Meeting GPS-99
and general information about Nashville will be available on the ION web
site at http://www.ion.org or the Nashville web site
http://www.nashville.citysearch.com.  Questions can be addressed to the
Chair or Co-chair of the Organizing Committee. 

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:

Jim Slater, Chair
NIMA, U.S.A.
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: 301-227-2051 (NEW)

Carey Noll, Co-chair
NASA GSFC, U.S.A.
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: 301-614-6542

Werner Gurtner, Astronomical Institute University of Bern, Switzerland
     ([email-masked])
Wlodzimierz Lewandowski, Bur. Int'l des Poids et Mesures, France
     ([email-masked])
Pratap Misra, M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratories, U.S.A. ([email-masked])
Ruth Neilan, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, U.S.A. 
     ([email-masked])
Robert Weber, Technical University of Vienna, Austria 
     ([email-masked])
Pascal Willis, Institut Geographique National, France
     ([email-masked])

[Mailed From: Carey Noll <[email-masked]>]