Subject: [IGSMAIL-2247] Follow up to IGSMail # 2243
From: Herb Dragert
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 9:22:13 PDT

IGS Electronic Mail      Mon Apr 26  9:22:13 PDT 1999      Message Number 2247
******************************************************************************

Author: Herb Dragert
Subject: Follow up to IGSMail # 2243: TurboRogue offload problems .

As a follow up on the offload problems we experienced with all of our
TurboRogue and BenchMark receivers, we provide the following information:

1. All receivers reported "No Data Found" for any data request which fell
into a timeframe after 13:00:30UT , Apr. 25. 

2. All receivers were tracking and collecting data continuously after the
above time; a check of the flashcard in "menu mode" found data present to
current time with no gaps. Note that stations with TurboRogue receivers in
"continuous streaming" mode (e.g. ALBH) suffered no data loss.

3. A "readfc -b" command on each receiver showed the identical symptom:
The active block on the flashcard being incremented with current data had a
Start Time of 1007/2/22:51:54 (bogus, because we haven't reached this date
yet) and a Stop Time that was identical. Furthermore, as the blocksize of
the current block was visibly increasing, the Stop Time remained fixed as
opposed to incrementing as it should with added data.

After several failed attempts to offload the data from the badly indexed
block, we carried out a flashcard erase at every site. This removed the
offending time-stamp from the flashcards and returned data collection to
normal. Unfortunately, it means that we will have permanent data gaps from
13:00UT, Apr. 25, 1999, to about 07:30 UT, Apr. 26, 1999, at all of our
sites:  ALBX, DRAO, WILL, WHIT, FLIN, DUBO, UCLU, NANO, WSLR, and CHWK.

We apologize for this possibly rash action, but it was carried out in an
attempt to minimize further data loss from these sites. The truncated data
files for Day 115 for the above sites will be posted shortly at CDDIS.

Herb Dragert
Pacific Geoscience Centre
[email-masked]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Herb Dragert                                        Office:   (250) 363-6447
Pacific Geoscience Centre                    Fax:      (250) 363-6565
9860 West Saanich Road                     Email:   [email-masked]
Sidney, B.C.   V8L 4B2	        WEB Page:    http://www.pgc.nrcan.gc.ca
Canada			                       
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[Mailed From: Herb Dragert <[email-masked]>]