Subject: [IGSMAIL-2239] Second Circular: IGEX-98 Workshop
From: NIMA/Jim Slater, CDDIS/Carey Noll
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 6:30:47 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Thu Apr 15  6:30:47 PDT 1999      Message Number 2239
******************************************************************************

Author: NIMA/Jim Slater, CDDIS/Carey Noll
Subject: Second Circular:  IGEX-98 Workshop

                         Second Circular
                         Call for Papers

      INTERNATIONAL GLONASS EXPERIMENT (IGEX-98) WORKSHOP
                     September 13-14, 1999
                  Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A.

OVERVIEW

The first coordinated international campaign to collect and analyze
GLONASS satellite data began on October 19, 1998 and is scheduled to
terminate on April 19, 1999.  This International GLONASS Experiment
(IGEX-98) was jointly sponsored by the International Association of
Geodesy's (IAG) Commission VIII for the International Coordination of
Space Techniques for Geodesy and Geodynamics (CSTG), the Institute of
Navigation's (ION) GLONASS-GPS Interoperability Working Group, the
International GPS Service (IGS), and the International Earth Rotation
Service (IERS).  The IGEX-98 Steering Committee, the ION and the IGS
are organizing a joint workshop on September 13-14, 1999 to discuss
the results of IGEX-98 and possible plans for the future.  This
workshop will be held in conjunction with the ION Satellite Division's
12(superscript: th) International Technical Meeting GPS-99 in
Nashville, Tennessee (U.S.). 

The IGEX workshop will be run as a separate event prior to the GPS-99
conference.  It will be held in the Nashville Convention Center, and
will be the forum for this year's meeting of the ION GLONASS-GPS
Interoperability Working Group (GGIWG).  A separate registration fee
will be required for all attendees of the workshop as indicated below.
(Workshop attendees who also wish to attend ION's GPS-99 Technical
Meeting after the workshop ends will be required to pay the standard
conference registration fee.) 

The workshop will be an opportunity for participants to present and
compare their findings, observations, and analyses resulting from the
IGEX campaign.  It will be a time to assess whether or not the
objectives of the experiment were met and to discuss future plans for
using and supporting GLONASS. 

Anyone is welcome to attend and participate. 

PRELIMINARY AGENDA 

The workshop sessions will be held between the hours of 8:30 am and
5:00 pm each day, with registration beginning at 8:00 am. 

***Monday, September 13, 1999***

INTRODUCTION AND OVERVIEW, Chair: James Slater (NIMA)
     Overview of IGEX Campaign
     GLONASS Status, Performance and Plans
RECEIVER TECHNOLOGY, Chair: Ruth Neilan (JPL)
     Software and Hardware Developments, Performance Analysis
NETWORK OPERATIONS, Chair: Werner Gurtner (Astro. Inst.Univ. of Bern)
     Data Collection, Data Communications, Data Archiving, Formats,
     Preprocessing
PANEL DISCUSSION -- Technology Issues, Station and Network Operations 
    Issues Chairs: Werner Gurtner and Ruth Neilan

EVENING RECEPTION

***Tuesday, September 14, 1999***

INTRODUCTION, Chair: Carey Noll (NASA GSFC)
ORBIT DETERMINATION, Chair: Robert Weber (Technical Univ. of Vienna)
     Precise Orbit Computations, SLR Observations, Methodology
TIME AND TIME TRANSFER, Chair: Wlodzimierz Lewandowski (BIPM)
APPLICATIONS, Chair: TBD
     Reference Frames and Datum Transformations
     Geodetic Positioning
     Atmospheric and Ionospheric Studies
GENERAL DISCUSSION -- GLONASS-GPS Interoperability Issues
     Chair: Pratap Misra (M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratories)
PANEL DISCUSSION -- Future Plans (IGS, Manufacturers, Navigation Users,
     Scientific Community), Chairs: Gerhard Beutler (Astro. Inst. Univ. 
     of Bern) and Pascal Willis (IGN)
SUMMARY

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION

Abstracts are requested for oral and poster presentations.  Abstracts
must be in English and must not exceed one page.  The deadline for
submission of abstracts is May 21, 1999.  Authors will be notified by
June 21 about the acceptance of their abstracts and whether they will
be oral or poster papers. 

All abstracts should be submitted electronically by connecting to one
of the web sites referenced below and completing the online form.  If
you do not have access to the Internet, you may fax your abstract to
Carey Noll at 301-614-5970 (USA).  Submissions should include names
and affiliations of all authors, and contact information for the
responsible author including mailing address, phone and fax numbers
and e-mail address. 

Final manuscripts for all papers including poster paper summaries are
requested by September 30, 1999 to facilitate publication in the
workshop proceedings. Instructions for submission of papers will be
available on the web sites shown below. 

PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS 

Pre-registration is requested for all people planning to attend the
workshop.  A registration fee of $75.00 payable at the workshop will
be required from each person attending.  The pre-registration deadline
is August 28, 1999.  The pre-registration form can be found at the web
sites listed below. 

Abstract submission and pre-registration can be done at the following
web sites: 

   IGN IGEX Web site     http://lareg.ensg.ign.fr/IGEX
   ION IGEX Web site     http://www.ion.org/workgroup.html

GENERAL INFORMATION

Nashville is known as Music City, U.S.A.  It is the home of countless
musicians and songwriters, the Grand Ole Opry and the Country Music
Hall of Fame. Bluegrass, jazz and other styles of music can also be
found in Nashville.  Other attractions include Belle Meade Plantation
(a 19(superscript: th) century Greek revival mansion), The Hermitage
(home of Andrew Jackson, seventh President of the U.S.), The Parthenon
(full-scale reproduction of Greek temple), Van Vechten Art Gallery at
Fisk University, and riverboat rides. 

A few of the hotels in the vicinity of the Convention Center are
listed below. In order to obtain the conference rates for the hotels,
you must inform the hotel that you are attending the Institute of
Navigation meeting. 

Renaissance (Headquarters Hotel, adjacent to the Convention Center): 
     Phone 615-255-8400; $116 single/double per night, $136 club level 
     per night
Crowne Plaza: Phone 615-259-2000; $111 single/double per night
Doubletree Hotel: Phone 615-244-8200; $99 single per night, $109 double 
     per night
Union Station Hotel: Phone 615-726-1001; $111 single per night, $131 
     double per night
ClubHouse Inn: Phone 615-244-0150

Specific information about the workshop including the meeting
circulars, program details and registration procedures will be
available on the ION GGIWG web site under the IGEX heading at
http://www.ion.org/workgroup.html and also at the IGN IGEX web site
http://lareg.ensg.ign.fr/IGEX. Information about registering for the
ION Satellite Division Meeting GPS-99 and general information about
Nashville will be available on the ION web site at http://www.ion.org
or the Nashville web site http://www.nashville.citysearch.com. 
Questions can be addressed to the Chair or Co-chair of the Organizing
Committee. 

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:

Jim Slater, Chair
NIMA, U.S.A.
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: 703-588-7431

Carey Noll, Co-chair
NASA GSFC, U.S.A.
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: 301-614-6542

Werner Gurtner, Astronomical Institute University of Bern, Switzerland
   ([email-masked])
Wlodzimierz Lewandowski, Bur. Int'l des Poids et Mesures, France
   ([email-masked])
Pratap Misra, M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratories, U.S.A. ([email-masked])
Ruth Neilan, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, U.S.A. 
   ([email-masked])
Robert Weber, Technical University of Vienna, Austria 
   ([email-masked])
Pascal Willis, Institut Geographique National, France
   ([email-masked])

[Mailed From: Carey Noll <[email-masked]>]