Subject: [IGSMAIL-2227] IAU Colq. 178 -- Polar Motion
From: Steve Dick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 13:18:24 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Tue Apr  6 13:18:24 PDT 1999      Message Number 2227
******************************************************************************

Author: Steve Dick <[email-masked]>
Subject: IAU Colq. 178 -- Polar Motion

*********************************************************************
*                                                                   *
*                          IAU Colloquium 178                       *
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*            POLAR MOTION: HISTORICAL AND SCIENTIFIC PROBLEMS       *
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*                  Cagliari University, Sardinia, Italy             *
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*                         27-30 September 1999                      *
*                                                                   *
*********************************************************************

                            SECOND CIRCULAR

You are cordially invited to attend IAU Colloquium 178, POLAR MOTION:
HISTORICAL AND SCIENTIFIC PROBLEMS. The conference will be held at the
"Cittadella Universitaria", the new settlement of the Cagliari
University in the immediate outskirts of the city, from Monday,
September 27 through Thursday, September 30, 1999. The Colloquium is
sponsored by IAU Commission 41 (History of Astronomy) with support
from Commission 19 (Earth Rotation) and 31 (Time). It is co-sponsored
by the International Association of Geodesy, the International Earth
Rotation Service, and the International GPS Service.

SCIENTIFIC ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:

 S. Dick (USA), chair              Address: U.S. Naval Observatory
                                            3450 Massachusetts Ave., NW
                                            Washington, D.C. 20392-5420
                                            U.S.A.

 G. Beutler (Switzerland)                D. McCarthy (USA)
 N. Capitaine (France)                   E. Proverbio (Italy)
 T. Fukushima (Japan)                    J. Vondrak (Czech Republic)
 D. Gambis (France)                      Ya. Yatskiv (Ukraine)

LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:

 F. Fusi Pecci, co-chair                E. Proverbio, co-chair
 A. Poma                                P. Calledda
 C. Pili                                S. Uras
 T. Zanzu

                             ***********

                          PROGRAM/INVITED SPEAKERS

          HISTORICAL OVERVIEW     S. Dick (USA)

** Mon 27 Sep **

     Session 1 (morning)          HISTORY OF EARLY POLAR MOTION RESEARCH

V. Abalakin (Russia)              Euler

P. Melchior (Belgium):            Theories of Polar Motion
                                  from Tisserand to Poincare

P. Brosche (Germany)              Kustner

M. S. Carter (USA)                Chandler

     Session 2 (afternoon)        HISTORY OF THE:
                                  INTERNATIONAL LATITUDE SERVICE
                                  BUREAU INTERNATIONAL DE L'HEURE
                                  INTERNATIONAL EARTH ROTATION SERVICE

E. Proverbio (Italy)              The Period of Organization of the
                                  ILS,1889-1899

K. Yokoyama, S. Manabe (Japan)    History of ILS/IPMS

B. Guinot (France)                History of BIH

G. Wilkins (U.K.)                 Formation of IERS

** Tue 28 Sep **             ***  Excursion to Carloforte ******

          SCIENTIFIC OVERVIEW     D. D. McCarthy (USA)

** Wed 29 Sep **

     Session 3 (morning)          EVOLUTION OF OBSERVATION/EXCITATION
                                  OF POLAR MOTION

J. Vondrak (Czech Republic)       Survey of Observational Techniques
                                  and HIPPARCOS Reanalysis

C. Ma (USA)                       VLBI Observations

Z. Malkin (Russia)                SLR

J. Kouba et al.(Canada)           Analysis of the IGS combined and
                                  contributed ERP solutions

D. Salstein (USA)                 Atmospheric excitation of polar motion

B. Chao (USA)                     Hydrological excitation of polar
                                  motion

J. Ray (USA)                      Combinations of Observations

     Session 4 (afternoon)        SECULAR POLAR MOTION/CHANDLER MOTION

S. Dickman (USA)                  Novel Excitation Sources of the
                                  Chandler Wobble

D. Gambis (France)                Decadal variations

Y. Ya. Yatskiv (Ukraine)          Chandler motion observations

C. Wilson (USA)                   Chandler motion excitation

** Thu 30 Sep **

     Session 5 (morning)          DAILY AND SUBDAILY POLAR MOTION

M. Eubanks (USA)                  Overview of the Problem
                                  VLBI/GPS observations

G. Beutler & M. Rothacher         Observational Aspects
(Switzerland)

P. Brosche (Germany)              Effects of General Oceanic
                                  Circulation [tentative]

R. Ray (USA)                      Aspects of ocean tides

     Session 6 (afternoon)         MODERN DEFINITION OF THE CELESTIAL
                                  EPHEMERIS POLE

N. Capitaine (France)             Overview and Proposition for a Modern
                                  Definition of the CEP

A. Brzenziski (Poland)            Geophysical Aspects of the CEP
                                  definition

SUMMARY/ FUTURE PROBLEMS IN POLAR MOTION RESEARCH

D. D. McCarthy (USA)              Summary and overview

Discussion                        Session Chairs and participants

                             ***********

CALL FOR PAPERS/ABSTRACT SUBMISSION

Both oral and poster papers will be considered.  Abstracts, not to
exceed 300 words, should be submitted by May 1, 1999 to the
chairperson of the SOC, Dr. Steven J. Dick, via e-mail
([email-masked]), or to the address above, preferably in
postscript or ASCII format. They will be posted at the Colloquium
website.  Authors will be notified of acceptance by May 30, 1999.

The collected Proceedings will be published in the Publications of
the Astronomical Society of the Pacific series.  A copy for each
participant is included in the registration fee. Instructions for
authors will be sent when the paper is accepted.

TRAVEL SUPPORT

A limited number of travel grants will be available. Those wishing to
apply for such a support are requested to complete and return the
attached form to the Chairperson of the SOC to arrive not later
than April 10, 1999.

TRANSPORTATION

Cagliari is the capital of the autonomous region of Sardinia.
Regular domestic flights are available to all major cities in Italy
(Rome, Milan, Bologna, Florence, Pisa, Turin, Venice). In addition
several ferry-lines connect Italian ports (Genova, Livorno,
Civitavecchia) with Sardinia (Cagliari, Olbia, PortoTorres) daily.
The Elmas airport is only 7 km away from the city. There is frequent
bus service from Elmas airport to Cagliari. A taxi from the airport
to the town center costs about 20,000-25,000 Italian lire, depending on
the time of the day. A shuttle service to the hotel will be provided on
Sunday evening September 26.

The conference site can be reached by public bus (the trip takes about
30 minutes). However free transportation to/from the conference
location will be organized at the beginning of the morning session and
at the end of the afternoon session.

MEETING REGISTRATION AND HOTEL RESERVATIONS

Registration will begin on Sunday evening September 26 and will
continue on Monday morning.

The registration fee is 250,000 Italian lire (currently some 140 U.S.$
or 129.11 euro) to be paid cash in Italian currency only, at the
registration desk. The fee covers attendance at all scientific
sessions, a copy of the proceedings, the coffee breaks, the excursion
to Carloforte and bus transport from hotels to the conference location.
Registered guests will be asked to pay a reduced fee of about 100,000
Italian lire including social events. There will be no special program
for accompanying persons, but the LOC will provide all the information
and help with required transportation, visits, excursions, etc.

The LOC has reserved a certain number of rooms at the hotels listed
below, located in the town center. It is recommended that participants
contact directly the hotels for accommodation. Please use the enclosed
reservation form and return the completed form by regular mail or fax
with your signature to the address of the select hotel. The credit
card number and expiration date are asked for the hotel booking as a
guarantee. Participants are advised to book their accommodation well
in advance and no later than July 26, 1999. Reservation and rate are
not guaranteed after this date.

Do not hesitate to contact the LOC for help or further information.

                    HOTEL INFORMATION

All prices are indicated in Italian lire and include tax.

HOTEL MEDITERRANEO (****)

Address:Via Lungomare Colombo 46
        09125 Cagliari (ITALY)
Telephone:++39.070.301271
Telefax:  ++39.070.301274
Price: Single  213.500                   Double     272,000
       Triple  395.500

Room rates include breakfast.

HOTEL PANORAMA   (****)

Address: Viale Diaz 231
         09126 Cagliari (ITALY)
Telephone:++39.070.307691
Telefax:  ++39.070.305413
http://www.hotelpanorama.it
E-mail:[email-masked]

Price: Single     170,000                Double     200,000

Suite available.  Room rates include breakfast.

HOTEL REGINA MARGHERITA (****)

Address: Viale Regina Margherita 44
         09124 Cagliari (ITALY)
Telephone:++39.070.670342
Telefax:  ++39.070.668325

Price: Single  200,000                   Double     260,000

Room rates include breakfast.

HOTEL ITALIA (***)

Address: Via Sardegna 31          09124 Cagliari (ITALY)
Telephone:++39.070.660410/660510
Telefax:  ++39.070.650240

Price: Single        105,000             Double     145,000
       Triple        165,000.

Room rates include breakfast.

HOTEL 4 MORI   (**)

Address :  Via G.M. Angioy 27
           09124 Cagliari (ITALY)
Telephone:++39.070.668535/657962
Telefax:  ++39.070.666087

Price: Single        70,000              Double      90,000
       Triple       120,000

Limited number of rooms.
Breakfast not available

WEATHER

During the latter part of September the weather is generally mild with
moderate temperature variations. The average temperature is about
24 deg. C.  Some rain is possible.

TOURS AND ACTIVITIES

There will be an organized all-day excursion on 28 September to
the original site of the ILS station at Carloforte. The small town of
Carloforte is on the little island of S. Pietro, about 90 km West of
Cagliari and it has a population originating in Liguria (they still
speaking the Genua dialect). Local attraction are the sea coasts,
sloping beaches and typical rocky formation.

A Conference dinner including a country folk performance will be
offered on the evening of 29 September. The dinner will be free for
all participants and their registered guests.

An all-day excursion at Sardinian archeological sites may be arranged
on 1 October, after the formal end of the Colloquium, depending on the
number of requests. Approximate cost will be about 70,000 lire. Details
will be given with the third circular.

The annual meeting on the History of Astronomy organized by the Italian
Astronomical Society will be held in Cagliari from Friday 24 September
to Saturday 25 September, 1999. Details will be available on the Web
site http://www.ca.astro.it.

FURTHER INFORMATION

The third circular will be distributed in June, 1999.The latest
information on the colloquium will be posted continuously at
the Web site http://www.ca.astro.it/iau178.

CONTACT ADDRESS:

  Local Organizing Committee
  IAU Colloquium 178
  Stazione Astronomica
  Loc. Poggio dei Pini Str. 54
  09012 Capoterra (Cagliari)
  ITALY

  Telephone: ++39.070.711801
  Telefax:   ++39.070.71180222
  e-mail :   [email-masked]

To express interest in attending please fill in and return the
enclosed registration form to the contact address before May 1, 1999.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

               IAU Colloquium 178
POLAR MOTION: HISTORICAL AND SCIENTIFIC PROBLEMS
      Cagliari University, Sardinia, Italy
              27-30 September 1999

                               REGISTRATION FORM

 (To be returned before May 1, 1999)
                                             To:
                                             Local Organizing Committee
                                             IAU Colloquium 178
                                             Stazione Astronomica
                                             Loc. Poggio dei Pini
                                             O9012 Capoterra (Cagliari)
                                             ITALY
                                             Telefax: ++ 39.070.7118222
                                             E-Mail:  [email-masked]

 FAMILY NAME: .........................................................

 GIVEN NAME: ..........................................................

 INSTITUTE: ...........................................................

 MAILING ADDRESS.......................................................

                .......................................................

 TELEPHONE: ...........................................................

 FAX: .................................................................

 E-MAIL: ..............................................................

 I plan to attend the Conference             (  ) yes          (  ) no

 I intend to contribute an oral talk         (  ) yes          (  ) no

 I intend to present a poster                (  ) yes          (  ) no

 Accompanying person(s): ...............................................

                         ...............................................

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

                          IAU Colloquium 178
           POLAR MOTION: HISTORICAL AND SCIENTIFIC PROBLEMS
                 Cagliari University, Sardinia, Italy
                        27-30 September 1999

                       HOTEL RESERVATION FORM

Please complete and return this form via regular mail or fax before 26
July, 1999.

                                            To:
                                            Hotel .....................

                                            ...........................

                                            ...........................

                                            Fax .......................

                                                      CAGLIARI (ITALY)

 NAME: .............................................................

 MAILING ADDRESS......................................................

                ......................................................

 TELEPHONE: .....................FAX: ................................

 E-MAIL: .............................................................

 ARRIVAL DATE (day/month/year) .......................................

 DEPARTURE DATE (day/month/year) .....................................

 EXPECTED TIME OF ARRIVAL ............................................

 NUMBER OF NIGHTS ...................

 NUMBER OF ROOMS REQUIRED ........... Type of Room:

                                 Single ........ Double ......... ....

                                 Triple ........ Other ........... ...

 REMARKS........................................................... ..

 CREDIT CARD: .......................

 NUMBER: ............................ EXPIRATION DATE ................

 DATE: ............................   SIGNATURE ......................

----------------------------------------------------------------------

                IAU Colloquium 178
POLAR MOTION: HISTORICAL AND SCIENTIFIC PROBLEMS
      Cagliari University, Sardinia, Italy
              27-30 September 1999

                       APPLICATION FOR TRAVEL GRANT

 (To be returned before 10 April, 1999)
                                           To:
                                           Dr. Steven J. Dick
                                           U.S. Naval Observatory
                                           3450 Massachusetts Ave.,NW
                                           Washington D.C. 20392-5420
                                           U.S.A.
                                           Telefax: ++ 202-762-1516
                                      E-Mail: [email-masked]

Name of applicant: ....................................................

Nationality: ..........................Position: ......................

Mailing Address: ......................................................

                 ......................................................

Telephone: .......................Telefax:.............................

E-mail: ...............................................................

Starting point of journey: ............................................
(if different from home address):

Type of contribution: .................................................
(e.g. review talk, thesis presentation,)

Title of contribution: ................................................

                       ................................................

Total amount of IAU support applied for (in CHF).......................

Subtotal for travel (max.: economy air fare or equivalent):............

Subtotal for subsistence (if no other funds available): ...............

Other sources of support applied to: ..................................

Amount requested/granted:..............................................

Signature of applicant: ................Date and place: ...............

For Ph.D. students:

     Signature of Thesis Director/Supervisor: .........................

     Institution: .....................................................

                  .....................................................

[Mailed From: Jim Ray (USNO 202-762-1444) <[email-masked]>]