Subject: [IGSMAIL-2221] UNAVCO GPSVEL Working Group
From: Geoff Blewitt
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 7:44:51 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Tue Mar 30  7:44:51 PST 1999      Message Number 2221
******************************************************************************

Author: Geoff Blewitt
Subject: UNAVCO GPSVEL Working Group

Please respond to:  [email-masked]

GPS Geodetic Community, 

I'm pleased to announce the formation of a UNAVCO Working Group
on "GPS Velocity Synthesis" (GPSVEL).  Members who have already signed up
are listed below. The goal of this working group is to produce a unified
GPS velocity solution which includes as much high precision GPS data as
possible from networks and campaigns.  Participation of GPS campaign
P.I.'s is therefore crucial to the success of this effort.  

If we succeed in producing a high quality, self consistent solution for
station kinematics, that this will be useful (1) as a scientific tool, by
increasing spatial resolution, and by posing the solution in a rigorous,
global kinematic frame, with full covariance information and (2) as a
method of ensuring the quality and documentation of GPS solutions over the
last decade so that they can be more useful to future generations of
scientists. 

The IGS Densification Program, which has been in operation for 3.5 years
now, provides a robust global GPS framework on which to "pin" solutions
from  campaigns and dense regional networks.  IGS has also provided
methodology and standards which could be applied to this project (e.g.,
SINEX files with full documentation of a priori constraints and antenna
heights).  Nevertheless, there are several technical issues which will
need resolving, given that much campaign data is not likely to be in the
desired form at present.  

We therefore seek potential participants who might able to bring to this
effort (1) GPS data and/or solutions, (2) technical expertise, and (3) the
authority to direct any resources which may be necessary to accomplish
this task.

This has started as a UNAVCO effort, and if this applies to you if you
have not been a UNAVCO participant. We are hoping that this provides an
opportunity for UNAVCO to expand significantly its international
participation.  However, even if you don't forsee travelling to UNAVCO
meetings, we still would like you to participate, (not necessarily on the
working group, but as a contributor in some form).

If you are interested in participating, please let me know as soon as
possible.  I'd also like to know if you happen to be attending the UNAVCO
Community Meeting in Boulder Colorado, April 7-9. (see message below for
futher information). We will be holding our first working group meeting
there.  

At this point, I'd appreciate a quick response, using the following
questionairre:
*********************************************************************
YES/NO:  I am interested in participating in this effort in some form
         (if yes, please write a sentence here)

YES/NO:  I would like to be on the Working Group

YES/NO:  I am attending the UNAVCO Community Meeting April 7-9.
**********************************************************************

Thanks, and I hope you decide to participate.  I hope you agree that this
is an opportunity we should not miss.

I would like to thank the following people have already
responded to the questionnaire with a "YES I am interested in
participating" (there is no need to respond again).  I apologize if you've
received multiple copies of this email.

YES: On Working Group
|       YES: Will Attend UNAVCO meeting
|	|	Name and <email address>
|       |       |
x	x	Bill Holt <[email-masked]>,
x	x	Chuck Meertens <[email-masked]>,
x	x	Geoffrey Blewitt <[email-masked]>
x	x	Rick Bennett <[email-masked]>,
x	x	Tom Herring <[email-masked]>,
x	x	Tonie vanDam <[email-masked]>,
x	x	Will Prescott <[email-masked]>,
x	?	Donald Argus <[email-masked]>,
x		David Lavallee <[email-masked]>,
x		Grenerczy Gyula <[email-masked]> 
x		Cecilia Sciarretta <[email-masked]>,
x		Claude Boucher <[email-masked]>,
x		Istvan Fejes <[email-masked]>,
x		Ken Hudnut <[email-masked]>,
x		James Kellogg <[email-masked]>,
x		Kristine Larson <[email-masked]>,
x		Peter Clarke <[email-masked]>,
x		Rosa Pacione <[email-masked]>,
x		Wim Spakman <[email-masked]>,
x		Susanna Zerbini <[email-masked]>
		Jon Beavan <[email-masked]>,
		Eric Calais <[email-masked]>,
		Kosuke Heki <[email-masked]>,
		Mike Pearlman <[email-masked]>,

With kind regards,
Geoff
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Prof. Geoff Blewitt   Dept of Geomatics, University of Newcastle, England
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Secretary:(44) 191 222 7607   Fax:(44) 191 222 8691  

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 14:43:40 -0700
From: Wayne Shiver <[email-masked]>
To: All UNAVCO <[email-masked]>
Cc: Wayne Shiver <[email-masked]>
Subject: Hotel Reservation & Field Trip - UNAVCO Mtg.

Dear UNAVCO Community Members,

This is a general reminder about getting your hotel rooms booked for the
April 7-9 UNAVCO Annual Meeting.  The following information was provided
as part of the on-line registration procedure:

"(b) A block of rooms has been reserved at the Broker Inn, 555 30th
Street,  Boulder, Colorado for meeting participants. You can book a room
directly by calling 1-800-338-5407 or 303-444-3330 and mentioning the
UNAVCO Annual Meeting to ensure room availability and group rates. The
reserved rate is $64.0 plus tax for a single or a double room. Rooms
must be reserved by Saturday MARCH 6th--after this date rooms will be on
a space-available basis only."

We have gotten the Broker Inn to extend this block of rooms until this
Friday, March 12th.  After this date, rooms cannot be guaranteed at this
rate if at all.  STUDENTS WHO HAVE REQUESTED TRAVEL SUPPORT need to make
their own  hotel reservations as specified above.  If we need students
to double up in rooms we will work out those details later.  All of the
registration information can be found at the following Web site:

http://www.unavco.ucar.edu/community/events/meetings/1999comm_mtng/mtngregister.html

We have also added a field trip for Friday afternoon April 9th after the
Symposium on the future of GPS and UNAVCO.  The trip will be headed up
by Dr. Edward Geary, GSA Director of Educational Programs, who is
located here in Boulder.  Ed led an enjoyable and educational  trip last
year to various points of geological interest in the foothills and has
agreed to  lead a geology field trip into Rocky Mountain National Park
this year.  The trip will leave the meeting location at 12:00 noon with
a picnic lunch onboard and return to the Broker Inn at 5:00 pm.

If you have made flight reservations through Professional Travel and
want to change your itinerary to accomodate the Friday events, please
contact Professional Travel directly.  There is no penalty for changing
your travel dates.  Please review the Web site for the meeting
occasionally as the agenda is being updated and refined.  The agenda can
be found at:

http://www.unavco.ucar.edu/community/events/meetings/1999comm_mtng/1999agenda.html

I look forward to seeing many of you here in Boulder in April.  If there
is anything I can do to encourage your participation in the meeting,
please let me know.  Best regards, Wayne Shiver, UNAVCO Facility Manager

--
Wayne S. Shiver
UNAVCO Facility Manager
3340 Mitchell Lane
Boulder, CO  80301
phone 303-497-8042
fax 303-497-8028
[email-masked]

[Mailed From: Geoff Blewitt <[email-masked]>]