Subject: [IGSMAIL-2216] GPS99 Symposium - Call for abstracts
From: Teruyuki Kato
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:49:04 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Tue Mar 23 14:49:04 PST 1999      Message Number 2216
******************************************************************************

Author: Teruyuki Kato
Subject: GPS99 Symposium - Call for abstracts

=================================================================

                       International Symposium on GPS
                      Application to Earth Sciences and
        Interaction with Other Space Geodetic Techniques
                               [GPS99 in Tsukuba]

October 18 -- 22, 1999
Tsukuba International Congress Center,
Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan

In part, joint with The Third International Meeting of
The Asia-Pacific Space Geodynamics Program

SECOND CIRCULAR & CALL FOR PAPERS

Deadline for abstracts: May 31, 1999
Deadline for early registration: June 30, 1999

GPS99 Homepage URL: http://wwwsoc.nacsis.ac.jp/geod-soc/gpssymp/

Sponsors
CSTG (Commission VIII in Section II of IAG and Commission B.2 of COSPAR)
IGS (International GPS Service of IAG and FAGS)
National Committee of Geodesy, Science Council of Japan
Geodetic Society of Japan
Seismological Society of Japan
Volcanological Society of Japan
Meteorological Society of Japan
Japan Society for Marine Surveys and Technology
Ocean Hemisphere Network Project
Superplume Project Research Group
GPS/MET JAPAN Project Research Group
Geographical Survey Institute
Japan Meteorological Agency
Maritime Safety Agency

Scope
The symposium will consider the recent increase in the use of GPS
technologies for Earth science applications. The Local Organizing Committee
particularly invites persons who are interested in the following subjects:
・ Crustal deformation monitoring using dense GPS arrays
・ GPS meteorology and ionospheric researches
・ Global plate motions, Earth rotation studies and reference frame
・ The combination of SLR and GPS technologies
・ Integrated space geodetic networks using VLBI, GPS, GLONASS, etc.
・ Integration of GPS and other techniques such as SAR, gravity measurements
・ Crustal dynamics in the Eastern Asia and the Western Pacific, and their
numerical modeling
・ Physical processes at plate boundaries and the mechanism of superplumes
・ Kinematic GPS for monitoring tsunami, ice flow, sea bottom displacements
・ Local GPS arrays for volcano and earthquake monitoring, and subsequent
hazard reduction
・ Application of GPS for monitoring global sealevel change
・ Collaboration among international projects, such as WING, APSG, GEODYSSEA
・ Regional aspects and the roles of the International GPS Service (IGS)
・ New and future space technologies and combination with conventional space
techniques
・ Tutorial sessions for new comers to GPS research

Venue
The symposium will be held in Tsukuba where the Geographical Survey
Institute operates the Japanese dense nationwide GPS array. The area is
conveniently located for making visits to other scientific institutes and
for visiting historical sites such as Nikko. Scientific tours will be
organized by the Local Organizing Committee. Social events and sightseeing
tours will be prepared by a local travel agent.

Program
October 18 (Monday)	　　　　     Registration desk opens at    15:00
	　　　　　　　　　　　Opening ceremony                  17:00-18:00
	　　　　　　　　　　　Reception
18:00-20:00
October 19 (Tuesday)	Symposium/Posters                09:00-18:00
October 20 (Wednesday)	Symposium/Posters                09:00-18:00
October 21 (Thursday)	Symposium/Posters                09:00-18:00
	　　　　　　　　　　　Banquet
19:00-21:00
October 22 (Friday)	　　　　    Symposium/Posters
09:00-14:00
	　　　　　　　　　　　Closing ceremony                  14:00-15:00

Scientific Program for GPS99

Session 1: Permanent GPS arrays, current and future
Conveners: Yehuda Bock (UCSD; [email-masked]), and Yuki Hatanaka (GSI;
[email-masked])

Session 2:	GPS meteorology: atmospheric sensing with ground and
space-based GPS receivers
Conveners:Bill Kuo (UCAR; [email-masked]), Mike Bevis (Hawaii Univ.;
[email-masked]), Yoaz Bar-Sever (JPL; [email-masked]),
Randolph Ware (UCAR; [email-masked]), Nobutaka Mannoji (JMA;
[email-masked]), and Toshitaka Tsuda (Kyoto Univ.;
[email-masked])

Session 3: A new view of the tectonic deformations in the Pacific and Asia
using space geodetic techniques (joint with APSG)
Conveners:Shui-Beih Yu (Academia Sinica; [email-masked]), Jeff
Freymueller (Alaska Univ.; [email-masked]), Takao Tabei (Kochi
Univ.; [email-masked]), and Minoru Kasahara (Hokkaido Univ.;
[email-masked])

Session 4: Determination and interpretation of global and regional plate
motions deduced from space geodetic techniques
Conveners:Kristine Larson (Univ. Colorado; [email-masked]), and
Kosuke Heki (NAO; [email-masked])

Session 5: Combination of space geodetic techniques for global dynamics and
reference frames
Conveners:Thomas Herring (MIT; [email-masked]), Zuheir Altamimi (IGN;
[email-masked]) Masaki Murakami (GSI, [email-masked]), and
Yukio Takahashi (CRL; [email-masked])

Session 6: Space and terrestrial techniques for advanced crustal deformation
research
Conveners:Will Prescott (USGS; [email-masked]), Frank Webb (JPL;
[email-masked]), Seiichi Shimada (NIED; [email-masked]), and
Takeshi Matsushima (Kyushu Univ.; [email-masked])

Session 7: Application of GPS for monitoring Earth's environmental and
global sealevel change
Conveners:Vidal Ashkenazi (Univ. Nottingham; [email-masked]),
and Yoshiaki Tamura (NAO; [email-masked])

Session 8: Application of GPS for ionospheric research and impact of solar
maximum for GPS measurements
Conveners: Richard Langley (Univ. New Brunswick; [email-masked]), and Akinori
Saito (Kyoto Univ.; [email-masked])

Session 9:	Modeling of the crustal process based on GPS measurements
Conveners: Paul Segall (Stanford Univ.; [email-masked]), Manabu
Hashimoto (Kyoto Univ.; [email-masked]), and Takeshi
Sagiya (GSI; [email-masked])

Session 10: Theory and Methodology of GPS and other space techniques
Conveners: Peter Teunissen (Delft Univ. Tech.;
[email-masked]), Peiliang Xu (Kyoto Univ.;
[email-masked])

Session 11: Kinematic application of GPS technology to Earth sciences
Conveners:Oscar Colombo (NASA/GSFC; [email-masked]), and
Tetsuichiro Yabuki (STA; [email-masked])

Session 12:Issues of data quality management and hardware/software
technological problems in GPS
Conveners:James L. Davis (Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics;
[email-masked]), Peng Fang (UCSD; [email-masked]), Akio Yasuda
(Tokyo Univ. Mercantile Marine; [email-masked])

Session 13: GPS for gravity field and geoid determination
Conveners:Rene Forsberg (KMS; [email-masked]), Yoichi Fukuda (Kyoto Univ.,
[email-masked])

Session 14:Innovative developments in GPS geodesy in support of the Earth
sciences
Conveners:Chris Rizos (Univ. New South Wales; [email-masked]), and
Shigeru Nakao (Tokyo Univ.; [email-masked])

Special Session: Asia Pacific Space Geodynamics Program (Business session)
Conveners:Ye Shu-Hua (SHAO; [email-masked]), John Manning (AUSLIG;
[email-masked]), Makoto Murakami (GSI; [email-masked])

Special Session: Tutorial course for GPS beginners
Tuesday:	Application of GPS interferometry to Earth sciences
	Lecturer: Kosuke Heki (NAO; [email-masked])
		& Teruyuki Kato (Tokyo Univ.; [email-masked])
Wednesday:Accurate baseline estimates using GPS interferometry
	Lecturer: Markus Rothacher (AIUB; [email-masked])
Thursday: 	Present status of GPS system and IGS
	Lecturer: Ruth Neilan (JPL; [email-masked])

Abstract submission
Abstract should be submitted either by mail of a camera-ready copy (CRC), or
by e-mail. On-line submission through homepage is not available. The
abstract must include the title of the paper, the author(s), affiliation(s),
postal and e-mail address(es). The name of the author who presents the paper
should be in capital letters. In addition to the abstract, session number
and its name, preferred form of presentation (oral or poster), the name of
contact person and his/her address should be provided. This additional
information should be written on a separate sheet if regular mail is used,
while those who use e-mail are requested to include this additional
information right after the text of the abstract.
Those who use a CRC submission are requested to observe the following
instructions for the abstract preparation;
1. Paper size: A4 (210mm x 297mm) or US letter size (8 1/2" x 11")
2. Headings: Title in capitals, author(s)' name(s), affiliation(s), postal
and e-mail address(es) to be centered on page
3. Typing area: 12 pitches double spaced in 154mm x 225mm (or 6" x 8 7/8"),
with margins of 28mm (1 1/4") at the left, and 25mm(1") at the top of the
paper
4. Length limit: One page. Those who submit the abstract by e-mail are to
first ensure that the text fits onto one page before the submission.
5. No figures are allowed in the abstract.
6. Language: English
Authors are requested to send their abstract with the additional information
Before May 31, 1999
to the following address of the Secretariat of the Local Organizing Committee:

	Teruyuki Kato
	Local Organizing Committee for GPS99
	Earthquake Research Institute
	The University of Tokyo
	1-1, Yayoi 1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0032, Japan
	E-mail: 	[email-masked]
	Phone: 	+81-3-5802-8644
	Fax:		+81-3-5689-7234

Publications
Papers presented at the symposium are requested to be submitted to two
special volumes of the journal, Earth, Planets and Space, a refereed journal
published by the Japanese Societies for Earth and Planetary Sciences. The
language is English. The special volumes will take the place of the
symposium proceedings. Further information concerning printed paper
submission will be provided at a later date.

Travel support
The Local Organizing Committee is attempting to locate additional sources of
travel funds for worthy participants. However, at the present time, (full or
partial) travel support will be provided only to invited speakers as well as
conveners. In the event that additional fund become available, participants
who make presentations and need travel support are requested to write a
letter to LOC secretary in addition to abstract submission. The letter
should include age, title of abstract, statement of special hardships etc.
The LOC will decide on the recipients for such funds soon after the abstract
deadline.

Registration and Hotel Accommodations

Advance Registration and Official Travel Agency
Participants are requested to fill out the enclosed Application form and
return it together with the remittance to Kinki Nippon Tourist Co., Ltd.
(KNT), the official travel agency for the conference. KNT also will handle
travel arrangements including hotel reservations. Inquiries and applications
in this regard should be addressed to :

GPS 99 Desk
Tokyo Sales Office
Kinki Nippon Tourist Co., Ltd.
Tokyo Kotsukaikan 10F  2-10-1, Yuraku-cho,
Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-0006  JAPAN
Tel:  +81-3-3214-5566	Fax:　+81-3-3214-6688		E-mail:
[email-masked]

Registration Fees                               (JPY: Japanese Yen)
                                Before June 30 ,1999          After July 1
,1999
Participant                   JPY25,000                      JPY30,000
Student                         JPY10,000                      JPY15,000
Accompanying Person    JPY10,000                      JPY10,000
Banquet (October 21)     JPY5,000                       JPY5,000
*Participants and Student : Registration fee includes Icebreaker Reception,
Symposium,
                         Proceedings, Coffee break and Scientific tours.

*Accompanying persons: Registration fee includes Icebreaker Reception,
Symposium,
                        Coffee break and Scientific tours.

Tours
The Local Organizing Committee will coordinate the following free scientific
tours, with LOC members acting as guides for these tours:

ST1: Geographical Survey Institute
This 2-hour tour takes participants to the Geographical Survey Institute,
responsible for operating the Japanese nationwide GPS array.

ST2: Research Institutions in Tsukuba city
During this half-day tour, participants will visit some of the Earth
sciences research institutes, including the National Research Institute for
Earth Sciences and Disaster Prevention (NIED), the Geological Survey of
Japan (GSJ) and the National Space Development Agency of Japan (NASDA).

ST3: Kashima Space Research Center, Communications Research Laboratory
This half-day tour takes participants to the Kashima Space Research Center,
Communications Research Laboratory, where VLBI and other facilities for
space research are operated.

If you wish to participate in any of above study tours, please mark the
appropriate box in the registration form. Other excursions will be arranged
by Kinki Nippon Tourist Co., Ltd. (see the later pages).

Correspondence
	Conference Secretariat:
		Teruyuki Kato
		Local Organizing Committee for GPS99
		Earthquake Research Institute
		The University of Tokyo
		1-1, Yayoi 1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0032, Japan
		E-mail: 	[email-masked]
		Phone: 	+81-3-5802-8644
		Fax:	+81-3-5689-7234
	Registration and Hotel reservation Secretariat:
		GPS99 Desk
		Tokyo Sales Office
		Kinki Nippon Tourist Co., Ltd.
		Tokyo Kotsukaikan 10F
		2-10-1, Yuraku-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-0006, Japan
		E-mail: 	[email-masked]
		Phone:	+81-3-3214-5566
		Fax:	+81-3-3214-6688

For further details and downloading necessary forms, please visit our homepage:
http://wwwsoc.nacsis.ac.jp/geod-soc/gpssymp/

=================================================================

============================================
Teruyuki Kato
Earthquake Research Institute
University of Tokyo
1-1, Yayoi 1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0032
Phone: +81-3-5802-8644(direct) or
           +81-3-3812-2111(ext.5730)
Fax:     +81-3-5689-7234
e-mail:  [email-masked]
============================================

[Mailed From: Teruyuki Kato <[email-masked]>]