Subject: [IGSMAIL-2170] First Circular
From: Jim Slater/NIMA and Carey Noll/CDDIS
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:42:54 PST

IGS Electronic Mail      Fri Feb 19 12:42:54 PST 1999      Message Number 2170
******************************************************************************

Author: Jim Slater/NIMA and Carey Noll/CDDIS
Subject: First Circular:  IGEX-98 Workshop

                           First Circular

              INTERNATIONAL GLONASS EXPERIMENT (IGEX-98) 
                              WORKSHOP
                        September 13-14, 1999
                    Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A.

The first coordinated international campaign to collect and analyze
GLONASS satellite data began on October 19, 1998 and is scheduled to
terminate on April 19, 1999.  This International GLONASS Experiment
(IGEX-98) was jointly sponsored by the International Association of
GeodesyÕs (IAG) Commission VIII for the International Coordination of
Space Techniques for Geodesy and Geodynamics, the Institute of
NavigationÕs (ION) GLONASS-GPS Interoperability Working Group, the
International GPS Service (IGS), and the International Earth Rotation
Service (IERS).  The IGEX-98 Steering Committee, the ION and the IGS are
organizing a joint workshop on September 13-14, 1999 to discuss the
results of IGEX-98 and possible plans for the future.  This workshop
will be held in conjunction with the ION Satellite DivisionÕs 12th
International Technical Meeting GPS-99 in Nashville, Tennessee (U.S.). 

The workshop will be an opportunity for participants to present and
compare their findings, observations, and analyses resulting from the
IGEX campaign.  It will be a time to assess whether or not the
objectives of the experiment were met and to discuss future plans for
using and supporting GLONASS.  Potential topics for the workshop
include: 

   - GLONASS status and plans
   - IGEX-98 overview, status, participation, geopolitical issues,
     technical issues 
   - The Russian perspective on GLONASS and IGEX
   - Data issues -- network operations, station information, data
     accessibility 
   - Lessons learned about tracking, processing and analyzing GLONASS
     data and how these compare with GPS 
   - Interoperability of GLONASS and GPS
   - Orbit determination, evaluation and comparisons (including SLR
     observations) 
   - Geodetic positioning
   - Timing
   - Reference frames and datum transformations
   - Software developments -- problems and solutions
   - Receiver technology and performance
   - Atmospheric and ionospheric studies using ground- and space-based
     receivers 
   - Future directions for a GLONASS tracking network, data products,
     and data analyses. 

The workshop will be a combination of invited papers, oral and poster
presentations submitted in response to a Call for Papers, and panel
discussions organized around specific issues or topics. Anyone is
welcome to attend and participate. 

The IGEX workshop will be run as a separate event prior to the GPS-99
conference.  It will be the forum for this yearÕs meeting of the ION
GLONASS-GPS Interoperability Working Group (GGIWG).  A small
registration fee will be required for all attendees. Workshop attendees
who also wish to attend IONÕs GPS-99 Technical Meeting after the
workshop ends will be required to pay the standard conference
registration fee. 

Nashville is known as Music City, U.S.A.  It is the home of countless
musicians and songwriters, the Grand Ole Opry and the Country Music Hall
of Fame.  Bluegrass, jazz and other styles of music can also be found in
Nashville.  Other attractions include a 19th century Southern Plantation
(Belle Meade), the home of Andrew Jackson, the seventh President of the
U.S. (Hermitage), and Opryland Themepark. 

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:

Jim Slater, Chair
NIMA, U.S.A.		
E-mail: [email-masked]		
Phone: 703-588-7431	

Carey Noll, Co-chair
NASA GSFC, U.S.A.
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: 301-614-6542

Werner Gurtner, University of Berne, Switzerland ([email-masked])
Wlodek Lewandowski, BIPM, France ([email-masked])
Pratap Misra, M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratories, U.S.A. ([email-masked])
Ruth Neilan, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, U.S.A.
   ([email-masked]) 
Robert Weber, Technical University of Vienna, Austria
   ([email-masked]) 
Pascal Willis, Institut Geographique National, France
   ([email-masked]) 

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Specific information about the workshop including the meeting circulars,
program details and registration procedures will be available on the ION
GGIWG web site under the IGEX heading at
http://www.ion.org/workgroup.html and also at the IGN IGEX web site
http://lareg.ensg.ign.fr/IGEX. Information about registering for the ION
Satellite Division Meeting GPS-99 and general information about
Nashville will be available on the ION web site at http://www.ion.org. 
Questions can be addressed to the Chair or Co-chair of the Organizing
Committee. 

[Mailed From: Carey Noll 301-286-9283 <[email-masked]>]