Subject: [IGSMAIL-2159] LEO Workshop, Third Circular
From: Ch. Reigber (from R. Neilan and K. Weisse)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:01:15 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Thu Feb 11 15:01:15 PST 1999      Message Number 2159
******************************************************************************

Author: Ch. Reigber (from R. Neilan and K. Weisse)
Subject: LEO Workshop, Third Circular 

                     Third Circular Announcement

                             Joint
                   IGS - GFZ - JPL Workshop on
                    Low Earth Orbiter Missions:
                    Developing and Integrating
            Ground and Space Systems for GPS Applications

                       March  9 - 11, 1999
                        Potsdam, Germany

Check the IGS CBIS and the GFZ sites for further workshop information under
"What's New"
IGS CBIS:
http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov

GFZ:
http://www.gfz-potsdam.de/

****** NOTE on Hotel Reservations ****

The Art'otel reserves rooms only until Feb 17, so for any US participants,
our the deadline is really Feb 16. Bookings at the Mercure at the workshop
rate are possible through Feb 26.

This is the first international workshop focusing on end-to-end
systems and science aspects for supporting an array of forthcoming
Low Earth Orbiter Missions.

=========================================================================
Tuesday, March 9, 1999

Day 1: LEO Missions Overview, Science Goals and Objectives, Infrastructure
                 Organizers: Ch. Reigber, W. Melbourne
=========================================================================
1) 1:00 pm   Welcome                     Rolf Emmermann  (GFZ/GER)

2) 1:05 pm   Goals of LEO-Workshop       Christoph Reigber (GFZ/GER)

3) LEO Missions

   1:15 pm    - NASA/DLR/CNES Missions   Tom Yunck (JPL/USA)
   1:45 pm    - ESA Missions             Alberto Tobias (ESTEC/NL)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2:00 pm Coffee Break
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

4) Science Goals and Objectives

   2:30 pm     - Gravity Field            Byron Tapley  (CSR/USA)
   3:00 pm     - Atmosphere               Per Hoeg (DMI/DK)
   3:30 pm     - Ionosphere               Norbert Jakowski (DLR/GER)
   4:00 pm     - Ocean Reflections        Pierluigi Silvestrin (ESTEC/NL)

5) 4:30 pm    LEO Infrastructure & the IGS    Ruth Neilan (JPL/USA)

6) 5:00 pm    Discussion

--->>>  5:30  pm      Ice Breaker Party Tuesday Evening

=========================================================================
Wednesday March 10, 1999
Day 2: Flight Instruments, Ground Data Systems, Product Generation
Organizers: J. Dow, R. Neilan, P. Schwintzer
========================================================================
1) GPS Flight Receivers

   9:00 am     - GPS Flight Receiver      Tom Meehan (JPL/USA)
                       Development
   9:30 am     - ESA's GRAS Receiver      Pierluigi Silvestrin (ESTEC/NL)

2) Ground Infrastructure: Data Flow, H/R Ground Networks, Operations

   10:00 am     - IGS Ground Network        Angelyn Moore (JPL/USA)
   10:30 am     - IGS Data Distribution     Carey Noll (GSFC/USA)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
11:00 am  Coffee Break
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

   11:30 am     - CHAMP S/C Telemetry,     Peter Schwintzer (GFZ/GER)
                    Data Flow & Products
   12:00 pm     - H/R Network, JPL Activities    Jim Zumberge (JPL/USA)
   12:30 pm     - H/R/ Network  GFZ Activities   Roman Galas (GFZ/GER)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1:00 pm Lunch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

   2:00 pm     - Ground Infrastructure for COSMIC   Chris Rocken (UCAR/USA)
   2:30 pm     - CLIMAP: Ground Infrastructure and  Per Hoeg (DMI/DK)
                      H/R GPS Stations in Europe

      Briefing on Norwegian GPS H/R Net (10min)

3) Mission Operations and Operational Processing Requirements

   3:00 pm     - CHAMP Mission Operation       Rolf Koenig (GFZ/GER)
                     and Rapid Orbit
   3:30 pm     - CHAMP Atmosphere/             Jens Wickert (DLR/GER)
                    Ionosphere Processor

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
4:00 pm Coffee Break
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

   4:30 pm     - Canadian H/R GPS Ground Data    Mark Caissy (NRCan/CAN)
   5:00 pm     - LEO/IGS Integration and         Tim Springer (AIUB/CH)
                   Benefits for IGS Products

5) Discussion

--->>>   6:30 pm  Reception Wednesday Evening

=========================================================================
Thursday March 10, 1999

Day 3: Products, User Access, Interfaces, Science Applications

         Organizers: N. Jakowski, Ch. Rocken, M. Watkins
=========================================================================
1) Atmosphere Science

   9:00 am      - Capabilities and Limitations of    Sean Healy (UKMet/UK)
                    RO-Measurements for NWP
   9:30 am      - Climate Change Detection           Luis Kornblueh (MPI/GER)
   10:00 am     - Capabilities and Limitations of    tbd
                    RO-Measurements for Ionosphere Monitoring

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
11:00 Coffee Break
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

   11:30 am     - Radio Wave                   Alexander Pavelyey (IER/RUS)
                        Propagation Effects
   12:00 pm     - Gravity Waves                Toshitaka Tsuda (RASC/JAP
   12:30 pm     - Tomographic Use of LEO Data  Guilio Ruffini (IEEC/SP)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1:00 pm Lunch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2) Gravity, Magnetic and Electric Fields and Science Applications

   2:00 pm     - CHAMP Magnetic and Electric Field  Hermann Luehr (GFZ/GER)
                      Related Products
   2:30 pm     - CHAMP Gravity Field         Christoph Reigber (GFZ/GER)
                      Related Products
   3:00 pm     - GRACE Gravity Field         Srinivas Bettadpur (CSR/USA)
                       Related Products
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
3:00 Coffee Break
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

3) Data Administration and User Interfaces

   4:00 pm    - CHAMP Information System and    Bernd Ritschel (DLR/GER)
                       Data Centre
   4:30 pm    - GENESIS Information System and  tbd (JPL/USA)
                       Data Centre
   5:00 pm    - COSMIC Analysis Centre          Chris Rocken (UCAR/USA)

5:30   Discussion

6:00 PM  Close of Workshop     Christoph Reigber (GFZ/GER)

--->>>  7:30 pm Joint Dinner Thursday Evening

=========================================================================
Friday, March 12, a.m.
Closed Meeting of IGS LEO Working Group -- by Invitation
                Organizers: Ch. Reigber, M. Watkins
=========================================================================

============================================================================
Ruth E. Neilan                    Telephone:     (818)-354-8330
Director, IGS Central Bureau      FAX:           (818)-393-6686
Jet Propulsion Laboratory         E-mail (IGS):  [email-masked]
MS 238-540                        E-mail:        [email-masked]
4800 Oak Grove Drive              E-mail (alternate):
Pasadena, CA 91109                          [email-masked]

               World Wide Web:  http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/

                      Secretary: Carol Lorre
         tel: 818-354-2077   email: <carol.lorre @jpl.nasa.gov>
============================================================================

[Mailed From: "Ruth E. Neilan, IGS Central Bureau" <[email-masked]>]