Subject: [IGSMAIL-2089] Announcement Workshop on Low Earth Orbiter Missions
From: Christoph Reigber (by Ruth Neilan)
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 11:32:08 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Wed Dec  2 11:32:08 PST 1998      Message Number 2089
******************************************************************************

Author: Christoph Reigber (by Ruth Neilan)
Subject: Announcement Workshop on Low Earth Orbiter Missions

                         First Announcement

                Workshop on Low Earth Orbiter Missions:
                     Developing and Integrating
            Ground and Space Systems for GPS Applications

                       March  9 - 11, 1999
                        Potsdam, Germany

Workshop Sponsors:
_______________________________

GeoForschungsZentrum, Potsdam (GFZ)
Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)
International GPS Service (IGS)

Conveners:
_______________________________
Prof.-Dr. Christoph Reigber, GFZ
Dr. William Melbourne, JPL
Prof. Gerhard Beutler, University of Bern, Switzerland

Overview
_______________________________

This announces the first international workshop focusing on the end-to-end
systems necessary for supporting an array of upcoming Low Earth Orbiter
Missions. This workshop is jointly convened by GFZ, JPL, and the
International GPS Service.

Discussions over the past two years with the IGS and within the mission
agencies have resulted in the consensus to convene this workshop.  The
objective is to determine the relative interest, roles and responsibilities
of each interested and contributing party.  It is widely recognized that
the IGS can play an essential role in the ground support aspects of LEOs --
such a recommendation has been made by the IGS LEO Working Group. The
ground network, a subset of the IGS tracking network, is being planned to
provide high rate, low latency data for integration with the flight data
for atmospheric occultation objectives.  Precise orbit determination as
performed by the IGS Analysis Center may actually benefit from an array of
LEOs that serve as observing stations in space. This synergistic
opportunity can signal the next enhancement of successful international
cooperation for multi-purpose GPS applications.

The workshop goal is to bring together interested principals in these
endeavors and attempt to derive plausible multi-mission support plans and
roles, a starting point for the next decade.

Agenda Overview
_______________________________

The program committee and sessions are just being confirmed but preliminary
plans have the first half day concentrating on goals of the workshop,
mission, science goals and objectives and a panel discussion.

The second day will focus on technical and engineering aspects, network
systems requirements, flight data systems, data integration, and mission
support tasks and issues.

The final day of the workshop would turn to science applications and a
discussion on products, external user access, interfaces and archives would
be included.

We hope that you seriously consider attending and participating in this
workshop, more information will be circulated in the next few weeks.

Wishing you happy holidays from the conveners,

sincerely,

Chris Reigber

============================================================================
Ruth E. Neilan                    Telephone:     (818)-354-8330
Director, IGS Central Bureau      FAX:           (818)-393-6686
Jet Propulsion Laboratory         E-mail (IGS):  [email-masked]
MS 238-540                        E-mail:        [email-masked]
4800 Oak Grove Drive              E-mail (alternate):
Pasadena, CA 91109                          [email-masked]

               World Wide Web:  http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/

                      Secretary: Carol Lorre
         tel: 818-354-2077   email: <carol.lorre @jpl.nasa.gov>
============================================================================

[Mailed From: "Ruth E. Neilan, IGS Central Bureau" <[email-masked]>]