Subject: [IGSMAIL-2072] EGS Symposium G11
From: Markus Rothacher, Mette Mortensen
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 6:21:54 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Wed Nov 18  6:21:54 PST 1998      Message Number 2072
******************************************************************************

Author: Markus Rothacher, Mette Mortensen
Subject: EGS Symposium G11

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to Symposium G11 (co-sponsored by OA)

    "GEODETIC TECHNIQUES FOR METEOROLOGY: OBSERVATION AND INTERPRETATION"

as a part of the XXIV General Assembly of the European Geophysical Society 
(EGS). This scientific meeting takes place in the week of April 19-23, 1999, 
at the Congress Center The Hague, Netherlands.

The Symposium G11 focuses on the use of geodetic techniques to determine
quantities that are relevant for meteorology, e.g. the amount of water vapor
in the atmosphere. Papers about the observation techniques (ground-based and 
space-based, ...), the accuracies and biases of these techniques, the 
interpretation of the results, the assimilation of the data in 
meteorological models, and the impact of the geodetic techniques on 
meteorology are very welcome. We would like to encourage you to contribute 
to this session with your studies and results.
 
There will be three types of presentations: invited papers (30 min), 
contributed papers (15 min), and poster or video presentations (3-5 min oral).
Poster and video presentations are very much encouraged.

     DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF ABSTRACTS IS DECEMBER 15, 1998.

More details on the submission of abstracts and on all other aspects of the
meeting (registration, housing, ...) may be found at the following
address:
 
     http://www.copernicus.org/EGS/EGS.html
     
     EGS Office                   Tel. ++ 49 / 5556 1440
     Max-Plank-Str. 13            Fax  ++ 49 / 5556 4709
     37191 Katlenburg-Lindau
     Germany

Because this message is distributed through several mailing systems, we
apologize if you receive more than one copy of this announcement.
Please forward this information to colleagues that may not have obtained
this e-mail.

Scope of Symposium G11: Geodetic techniques for meteorology: observation and 
                        interpretation
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The signals used in space geodesy are delayed by the neutral atmosphere, by 
the troposphere in particular. This circumstance --- a few years ago still 
considered a nuisance --- is nowadays the basis of "geodesy-based meteorology",
i.e., the determination of atmospheric water vapor using space geodetic
techniques. There are two major approaches to obtain information about the 
troposphere from space geodetic techniques: (1) monitoring tropospheric 
delays of microwave signals from stations located on the Earth's surface 
(e.g. with GPS/GLONASS, VLBI, DORIS, PRARE, ...) and (2) using space-borne 
(GPS) receivers to observe atmospheric profiles with occultation techniques. 
Especially the latter approach is expected to have a big impact on 
meteorology. More and more satellite missions are therefore planned 
with GPS receivers on board to study the atmosphere. 

The symposium will focus on the use of geodetic observations (earth-bound and
space-borne ones) to derive quantities relevant for meteorology 
(and climatology), the processing strategies and modeling methods applied
today to retrieve those quantities, and the feasibility of near real-time 
processing systems, an important aspect for meteorological applications.

Contributions comparing different approaches and techniques 
and contributions assessing the quality of the results are of 
special interest. Papers focussing on the interpretation and usefulness of 
the atmospheric information from geodetic techniques for meteorology 
(or climatology) are very welcome, too.

                            -------------------
               
We are looking forward to your participation in Nice.
 
Sincerely yours,

                     Markus Rothacher  &  Mette Dahl Mortensen

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
G11 Convener:

    Dr. Markus Rothacher                  Tel   : ++ 41 / 31 631 85 91   
    Astronomical Institute                Fax   : ++ 41 / 31 631 38 69   
    University of Berne                   E-mail: [email-masked]
    Sidlerstrasse 5                                                          
    CH-3012 Berne
    Switzerland

G11 Co-Convener:
 
    Mette Dahl Mortensen                  Tel.  : ++45 / 39 15 74 98
    Atmosphere Ionosphere Research Div.   Fax   : ++45 / 39 15 74 60
    Danish Meteorological Institute       E-mail: [email-masked]        
    Lyngbyvej 100
    DK-2100 Copenhagen O
    Denmark

[Mailed From: [email-masked] (MARKUS ROTHACHER)]