Subject: [IGSMAIL-203] New GPStech mailing list
From: Jeff Freymueller
Date: 23 Feb 1993 00:00:00

From:     Jeff Freymueller
Subject:  New GPStech mailing list
----------------------------------

The GPStech Mailing List - A new service for GPS users
           Jeff Freymueller
           Stanford University

I have begun an unmoderated mailing list for the discussion
of GPS technical and other issues. The intention is to provide
a forum for the exchange of information, for discussion of the
finer technical points that always seem to trip us up, and for
questions about particular GPS analysis software.

Existing communication channels. such as CANSPACE and the IGS
mail have been used primarily for announcements. GPStech is
intended to be primarily for discussions and question-and-answer.
Hopefully there will soon be several list members who are
experienced with each of the commonly-used software systems, so
that questions can be answered.

We all can cite many examples of the same technical glitch being
figured out independently by several groups, with no communication
between them. This lack of communication is appropriate for blind
testing, but not for general problem solving!

Any message sent to the list account is immediately sent out
to all members of the list. No attempt is made to organize the
messages in the way the IGS Mail does, although all messages will
be automatically archived in daily files.

Use the following mail addresses to access the GPStech list:

[email-masked]          -- to post a message
[email-masked]  -- to join or quit the list

Some examples of topics which might be discussed are:

o What data types should we give in RINEX files when AS is on?

o How do you do such-and-such with program X of software Y?

o What about antenna phase center variations?

o Does anyone have a program to merge two RINEX files? Extract a
   time window from a RINEX file? etc.

o How much site documentation do we really need?

o I don't understand Z. Can anyone tell me about Z?

o Many, many more!