Subject: [IGSMAIL-2022] IAU Colq. 178 -- Polar Motion
From: Steve Dick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 8:36:05 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Wed Sep 16  8:36:05 PDT 1998      Message Number 2022
******************************************************************************

Author: Steve Dick <[email-masked]>
Subject: IAU Colq. 178 -- Polar Motion

INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMICAL UNION

               STAZIONE ASTRONOMICA DI CAGLIARI - CARLOFORTE

                     UNIVERSITA' DEGLI STUDI DI CAGLIARI

*********************************************************************
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*                          IAU Colloquium 178                       *
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*            POLAR MOTION: HISTORICAL AND SCIENTIFIC PROBLEMS       *
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*                  Cagliari University, Sardinia,Italy              * 
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*                         27-30 September 1999                      *
*                                                                   *  
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*                                                                   *
*********************************************************************

                            FIRST CIRCULAR

GENERAL INFORMATION

 The latest observations of the motion of the Earth's rotation pole
 with respect to the terrestrial reference frame have achieved not only
 remarkable accuracy, but these data are now being obtained with
 subdaily frequency, a situation which was unexpected only a few years
 ago. These circumstances call into question the very definition of the
 celestial ephemeris pole. The astronomical observations available from
 tracking the satellites of the Global Positioning System, laser ranging
 to geodetic satellites, and very long baseline interferometry, together
 with ocean and meteorological data of unprecedented accuracy and
 frequency, may permit new understanding of the excitation of polar
 motion. These new data, combined with a century of past observations,
 provide further information on the secular motion of the pole which,
 in turn, contributes to improved understanding of models for the
 Earth's interior.

 The year 1999 marks the centennial of the first observations of the
 International Latitude Service (ILS). The ILS was organized in 1895
 by the forerunner of the International Association of Geodesy and was
 composed of observing sites on the parallel of 39d 88' North. The goal
 was to make astronomical observations to describe the motion of the
 Earth's rotation pole. In 1962 the ILS was renamed the International
 Polar Motion Service (IPMS) and in 1988 the IPMS was discontinued when
 the International Earth Rotation Service commenced. During its history
 the ILS/IPMS provided valuable observations of polar motion which
 continue to be analyzed today.

 Many of the questions which the ILS was organized to address still
 remain, including the enigmatic nature of the excitation and damping of
 polar motion. The definition of the international celestial and
 terrestrial reference systems are based on the ILS definition of the
 pole. Today's precise astronomical and geodetic observations now
 require a re-definition of that pole to correspond with modern levels
 of measurement. It is fitting to take the opportunity to mark the
 centennial of the first ILS observations at one of the original
 observatories.

SCIENTIFIC TOPICS AND CALL FOR PAPERS

 The Colloquium will include the following topics:

 - History of early polar motion research
 - History of the monitoring service organizations
 - Evolution of astronomical observations
 - Mechanisms for excitation of polar motion
 - Secular polar motion
 - Chandler motion
 - Daily and subdaily polar motion
 - Modern definition of the celestial ephemeris pole
 - Outstanding problems in polar motion research

 Invited, contributed, and poster papers will be considered. The
 collected proceedings will be published.
 Abstracts should be submitted by 10 April 1999 to the chairperson of
 the SOC, Dr. Steven J. Dick,  via e-mail ([email-masked]).
 Authors will be notified of acceptance by 30 May 1999.

SCIENTIFIC ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:

 S. Dick (USA), chair              Address: U.S. Naval Observatory
                                            3450 Massachusetts Ave., NW
                                            Washington, D.C. 20392-5420
                                            U.S.A.

 G. Beutler (Switzerland)                D. McCarthy (USA)
 N. Capitaine (France)                   E. Proverbio (Italy)
 T. Fukushima (Japan)                    J. Vondrak (Czech Republic)
 D. Gambis (France)                      Ya. Yatskiv (Ukraine)

 The Colloquium is sponsored by IAU Commission 41 (History of Astronomy)
 with support from Commission 19 (Earth Rotation) and 31 (Time). It is
 co-sponsored by the International Association of Geodesy, the
 International Earth Rotation Service, and the International GPS
 Service.

LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:

 F. Fusi Pecci, co-chair                E. Proverbio, co-chair
 A. Poma                                P. Calledda
 C. Pili                                S. Uras
 T. Zanzu

LOCATION

 The Conference will be held at the "Cittadella Universitaria", the new
 settlement of the Cagliari University in the immediate outskirts of the
 city, from Monday, 28 September through Thursday, 30 September 1999.

 There will be an organized excursion to the original site of the ILS
 station at Carloforte, on the little island of S.Pietro, about 90 km
 from Cagliari.

 Cagliari, situated on the southern coast at the center of the gulf of
 the Angels, is the capital of the autonomous region of Sardinia and
 offers many attractions in the fields of archeology, art, landscape
 and climate. During the latter part of September the weather is
 normally warm and sunny (the average temperature is around 24 deg C).

 The Cagliari-Elmas airport is 7 km from downtown. All the main Italian
 airports have frequent direct daily flights to Cagliari. In addition
 several ferry-lines connect Italian ports (Genova, Livorno,
 Civitavecchia) with Sardinia (Cagliari, Olbia, PortoTorres) daily.

 A certain number of rooms are reserved at hotels located in the town
 center. The approximate daily hotel rate is 50-110 US$ per person,
 including breakfast.

 The Conference fee will be 140 US$.

FURTHER INFORMATION AND DEADLINES

 The second circular, which will be distributed in February 1999, will
 contain details concerning submittal of abstracts and logistics.
 Abstracts will be due no later than 10 April 1999.

 A limited number of travel grants will be available. Those wishing to
 apply for such a support are requested to complete and return the
 attached form to the Chairperson of the SOC to arrive not later than
 10 April 1999.

 In the meantime, the latest information on the colloquium will be
 posted at the Web site http://www.ca.astro.it/iau178.

CONTACT ADDRESS:

 Local Organizing Committee
 IAU Colloquium 178

 Stazione Astronomica
 Loc. Poggio dei Pini, Str. 54
 09012 Capoterra (Cagliari)
 ITALY

 Telephone: ++39.070.725246
 Telefax:   ++39.070.725425
 e-mail :   [email-masked]

 To express interest in attending please fill in and return the enclosed
 form to the contact address before 10 April 1999.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

               IAU Colloquium 178
POLAR MOTION: HISTORICAL AND SCIENTIFIC PROBLEMS
      Cagliari University, Sardinia, Italy
              27-30 September 1999

                       PRELIMINARY REGISTRATION FORM

 (To be returned before 10 April 1999)
                                           To:
                                           Local Organizing Committee
                                           IAU Colloquium 178
                                           Stazione Astronomica
                                           Loc. Poggio dei Pini, Str.54
                                           O9012 Capoterra (Cagliari)
                                           ITALY
                                           Telefax: ++ 39.070.725246
                                           E-Mail:[email-masked]

 FAMILY NAME:.........................................................

 GIVEN NAME:..........................................................

 INSTITUTE:...........................................................

 MAILING ADDRESS......................................................

                ......................................................

 TELEPHONE: ..........................................................

 FAX:.................................................................

 E-MAIL:..............................................................

 I plan to attend the Conference             (  ) yes            (  ) no

 I intend to contribute an oral talk         (  ) yes            (  ) no

 I intend to present a poster                (  ) yes            (  ) no

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

               IAU Colloquium 178
POLAR MOTION: HISTORICAL AND SCIENTIFIC PROBLEMS
      Cagliari University, Sardinia, Italy
              27-30 September 1999

                       APPLICATION FOR TRAVEL GRANT

 (To be returned before 10 April 1999)
                                           To:
                                           Dr. Steven J. Dick
                                           U.S. Naval Observatory
                                           3450 Massachusetts Ave.,NW
                                           Washington D.C. 20392-5420
                                           U.S.A.
                                           Telefax: ++ 202.762.1516
                                        E-Mail:[email-masked]

Name of applicant:....................................................

Nationality: ..........................Position:......................

Mailing Address:......................................................

                ......................................................

Telephone:.......................Telefax:.............................
E-mail:...............................................................

Starting point of journey:............................................
(if different from home address):

Type of contribution:.................................................
(e.g. review talk, thesis presentation, ...)

Title of contribution:................................................

                      ................................................

Total amount of IAU support applied for (in CHF)......................
Subtotal for travel (max.: economy air fare or equivalent):...........
Subtotal for subsistence (if no other funds available):...............

Other sources of support applied to:..................................

Amount requested/granted:.............................................
Signature of applicant: ................Date and place:...............

For Ph.D. students:

     Signature of Thesis Director/Supervisor:.........................
     Institution:.....................................................

[Mailed From: Jim Ray (USNO 202-762-1444) <[email-masked]>]