Subject: [IGSMAIL-2019] IGS Network Systems Workshop -- SECOND CIRCULAR
From: Carey Noll/CDDIS
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 7:38:41 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Sun Sep 13  7:38:41 PDT 1998      Message Number 2019
******************************************************************************

Author: Carey Noll/CDDIS
Subject: IGS Network Systems Workshop -- SECOND CIRCULAR

Note:  There is a deadline of OCTOBER 5 for hotel reservations at the 
preferred location.
************************************************************************
                    IGS Network Systems Workshop

                            Annapolis, MD
                         November 2-5, 1998

                           Second Circular

In this circular
----------------
     General Workshop Information
     Conveners, Program Committee, Local Organizer
     Preliminary Agenda
     Meeting Venue
     Accomodations
     Registration Information
     Events
     Further Information

General Workshop Information
----------------------------
     NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, through the Crustal Dynamics Data
Information (CDDIS), an IGS Global Data Center, in conjunction with the
IGS Central Bureau, will host the IGS Network Systems Workshop for three
and one half days on November 2-5, 1998 in Annapolis, MD.  A first
circular for this workshop was issued in early July and can be viewed
on the workshop web site (see below).

      The IGS has been an operational service for nearly five years,
providing GPS data and products from a globally distributed network of
high precision GPS receivers.  Since its inception, the IGS has not
sponsored a workshop of this type, focusing on the network and
infrastructure issues and how future plans for the IGS affect these
components.  This workshop will provide a venue for the various network
components of the IGS to meet and discuss our current configurations,
problems and their resolutions, how to incorporate the many future
requirements into our existing infrastructure, and what new technologies
are available that we should take advantage of. 

      Attendees are encouraged to bring poster paper presentations. 

      Attendees from the U.S. are reminded that November 3 is election
day.  Don't forget to submit your absentee ballots! 

Conveners
---------
     Ruth Neilan, IGS Central Bureau, Jet Propulsion Laboratory,
          Pasadena, CA 
     Carey Noll, NASA GSFC, Greenbelt, MD

Program Committee
-----------------
     IGS Infrastructure Committee
        Yehuda Bock, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, CA
        Steve Fisher, Jet Propulsion Laboratory/UNAVCO, Boulder, CO
        Werner Gurtner, Astronomical Institute of Berne, Switzerland
        Jan Kouba, Natural Resources Canada
        Ulf Lindqwister, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA
        Chuck Meertens, University NAVSTAR Consortium, Boulder, CO
        Ruth Neilan, IGS Central Bureau, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 
             Pasadena, CA
        Carey Noll, NASA GSFC, Greenbelt, MD
     Ludwig Combrinck, Hartebeestoek Radio Observatory, South Africa
     Loic Daniel, Institute Geographic National, France
     Yuki Hatanaka, Geographical Survey Institute, Japan
     Martin Hendy, Australian Survey and Land Information Group, Australia
     Jan Johansson, Onsala Space Observatory, Sweden
     Hans Peter Plag, Geodetic Institute, Norwegian Mapping Authority, 
          Honefoss,  Norway
     Jim Ray, U.S. Naval Observatory, Washington, D.C.
     Wolfgang Schlueter, Bundesamt fuer Kartographie und Geodaisie, Germany
     Tim Springer, Astronomical Institute of Berne, Switzerland
     James Zumberge, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA

Local Organizer
---------------
     Carey Noll, NASA GSFC, Greenbelt, MD

Preliminary Agenda
------------------
========================================================================
On-site Registration 11:30 - 1:00 PM

Monday November 2, Afternoon Session
------------------------------------
1:00 - 1:15
Welcome and Announcements                      R. Neilan, C. Noll, TBD

1:15 - 2:15
1.0 'State of the IGS'                         G. Beutler
1.1 Current Network Performance                J. Zumberge, J. Kouba, 
                                               T. Springer
2:15 - 2:45 PM Break

2:45 - 5:00 PM
2.0. Future Requirements - Applications Panel  R. Serafin, 
     Discussion Emerging Initiatives and New   Panel Moderator
     Directions         

6:00 Icebreaker Reception
========================================================================
Tuesday, November 3, Morning Session
------------------------------------
9:00 - 9:30 AM
3.0 Physical Site Specifications               W. Gurtner

9:30 - 11:00 AM
    Physical Site Specifications --            W. Gurtner, Moderator
    Panel Discussion

11:00 - 11:30 AM Break

11:30 - 12:30
3.1 Communications and Data Links              S. Fisher, D. Stowers, 
    'Benchmarking' the IGS Network             L. Estey

12:30 - 2:00 Lunch

Tuesday November 3, Afternoon Session
-------------------------------------
2:00 - 3:00 PM
3.2 New Communication Technologies             Invited Speaker(s) TBD 

3:00 - 5:30 PM
3.3 Poster Overview and Viewing                R. Neilan

5:30 - 7:00 Social Reception
========================================================================
Wednesday November 4, Morning Session
------------------------------------- 
9:00 - 9:30
4.0 Data Center Issues                         C. Noll, et al.

9:30 - 10:30
    Data Center Issues -- Panel Discussion     C. Noll, Moderator

10:30 - 11:00 AM Break

11:00 - 11:30
5.0 Network Monitoring                         R. Neilan, 
                                               R. Hanssen, et al.

11:30 - 12:30
    Network Monitoring -- Panel Discussion     R. Neilan, Moderator

12:30 - 2:00 Lunch

Wednesday November 4, Afternoon Session
---------------------------------------
2:00 - 2:30
6.0 Network Upgrade Issues                     Y. Bock, et al,

2:30 - 3:30
    Network Upgrade Issues -- Panel Discussion Y. Bock, Moderator

3:30 - 4:00 Break

4:00 - 5:00
6.1 GPS Instrumentation Overview --            R. Neilan and C. Noll,
    Future of High Precision GPS Tools         Invited speakers

5:00 - 5:30 Questions & Discussion             TBD, Moderator

6:00 - 9:00  Dinner
========================================================================
Thursday November 5, Morning Session
------------------------------------
9:00 - 10:30
7.0 IGS Information Systems Demonstrations --  R. Neilan, R. Liu, et al.
    CBIS Review and Recommendations

10:30 - 12:30 (or working through lunch)
8.0 Working Group Discussions

Lunch 12:30 - 2:00

Thursday November 5, Afternoon Session
--------------------------------------
2:00 - 4:00
8.1 Summary Recommendations from each          I. Mueller, 
    Working Group                                 Moderator

8.2 Future Steps and setting next meeting(s)

7:00 - 9:00 Tour of Goddard Geophysical and Astronomical 
    Observatory (GGAO)
========================================================================
Friday November 6, Summary Session for Program Committee
--------------------------------------------------------
Wrap up with session chairs.
Assignments for IGS Network Operations Plan Document

Workshop Venue
--------------
      The workshop will be held in the Governor Calvert House, one of
the Historic Inns of Annapolis.  The Historic Inns, a series of three
hotels in downtown Annapolis, will also provide lodging for the
attendees of the workshop.  Airport and transportation information can
be found on the web site.

Accomodations
-------------
     A block of rooms has been reserved at the Historic Inns of
Annapolis. Attendees should make their own reservations with the hotel,
stating they are with the IGS Network Systems Workshop. To be guaranteed
a room at this hotel, attendees MUST MAKE A RESERVATION BY OCTOBER 5,
1998. The rate for a single room for workshop participants is $96 (U.S.,
tax included); the double room rate is $116 (U.S., tax included). All
room requests will be filled on a first come first served basis and
based on space availability.  If needed, accomodations at the other
hotels listed below can be made.  The Annapolis Holiday Inn and the
Wyndham Gardens Hotel are not within walking distance of the workshop
venue; shuttle service, however, is available to downtown Annapolis. 

     Historic Inns of Annapolis
     Phone: 800-847-8882 (room reservations only)

     Annapolis Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center
     Phone: 410-224-3150
     (Shuttle service available to downtown, near workshop)

     Wyndham Garden Hotel
     Phone:  410-266-3131
     (Shuttle service available to downtown, near workshop)

     Annapolis Marriott Waterfront Hotel
     Phone:  410-268-7555
     (walking distance from workshop)

Registration Information
------------------------
      A registration fee of $75 (U.S.) will be charged and is payable at
the workshop on-site registration (November 2).  An updated reservation
form is available on the web site (see below). Attendees are strongly
encouraged to complete this registration form by October 19, 1998.

Events
------
      Informal receptions will be held at the workshop venue on Monday
and Tuesday.  A banquet will be held on Wednesday evening.  A tour of
the Goddard Geophysical and Astronomical Observatory (GGAO) is scheduled
for Thursday evening. 

Further Information
-------------------
      A web site has been developed to provide the latest information
about the IGS Network Systems Workshop.  This site will also provide
registration and hotel information.  The URL for the workshop web site 
is: 

      http://cddisa.gsfc.nasa.gov/igs_netws/netws_home.html. 

[Mailed From: Carey Noll 301-286-9283 <[email-masked]>]